The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have started shifting to a registered herd and have put a deposit down on a 100% buckling. OF COURSE, he is out of the same buck as a doeling we bought a few months ago (gotta love those dappled genetics!).

I have read that half-siblings will be fine, but I just wanted to see what far more experienced boer goat breeders have to say about breeding them.

He will not be used until next year, but I plan on using him to breed the daughters of our current buck and our new registered does.
received_815890088927741.jpeg
received_249860982676594.jpeg

If you cannot tell, he is a total ham! His twin brother is the silver dapple in each of the pictures.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I’m not a big fan of breeding half-siblings. However, I do know it can work really well, and I know some people that have had excellent success.

We personally tried it years ago, and I absolutely hated the outcome. The cross just exaggerated everything I hated, not everything I loved lol. It can really go either way.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well If you kinda think about it this way it really isn’t that bad. So brother and sister share the same dad (I’m assuming) so each are 50% of dad, and of course 50% of their mothers. Breed them together and you end up with 50% of dad, and 25% of those twos mothers.
Me personally, just having one doe? I would probably go for it if he was everything that I wanted. I have bred half brother and sister together, most turned out nice kids, some didn’t. But every year I have most nice kids, some I’m not a fan of......which of course because I have more then 1 buck (and 2 and 3 lol) I don’t repeat that breeding. But if you don’t like the offspring, I would treat it the same as any other breeding, just sell them or cull if they are culls.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're buying him to add some width to our narrow, tall goats. His sister has her flaws, but she is a stocky, meaty girl! I've got a year before we're breeding her, but I still wanted to get opinions.
20200305_064732.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a good summary of our current herd...a dairy buck could probably add width at this point...lol
20190917_191435.jpg

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Lol......I’m laughing with you not at you or your goats :p that was funny. But no I totally understand, I’m still looking at some of these goats I see and think “how in the world do they do that!” But no if you think he is a step up from what you have and you like him I sure wouldn’t let the fact one doe is related to him stop me from buying him. I had to line breed most of my does one year because I really didn’t have a choice. It was line breed or buy something that was not going to improve my herd any and on some go down hill. So you bet I put half sisters and brothers together and even daughters and dads, I’m sure there might have been some distant cousins in there too :p really the biggest down fall to line breeding is it has a higher chance of bringing the good traits AND the bad out in a line. But if you have another buck to use on sister and you think the pairing will produce good kids then even better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts