Breeding "help"?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by YouGoatMe, Sep 28, 2020.

1. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    My Nubian is in heat and we were hoping to get some mini-Nubians by putting her with our Nigerian Dwarf buck. Yesterday and today she has been flagging, cuddling him, and talking to him. He has been VERY interested and has mounted her many times, but each time I've seen it, he has "fallen short" of the target. Poor guy seems pretty frustrated. We tried using a small hill and helping him by getting her in a good position, but he shows NO interest in her while we are in the pen. We set up a pallet for him to get some elevation, but she jumps on it instead. I don't know if there is anything else I can do to facilitate this romantic encounter and help it be successful for him. She was with him last cycle too but did not get pregnant. Any advice is appreciated!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Put a lead on him and walk him up to her. Someone else in the meantime, is controlling the doe, where he can reach her. Say what, what to encourage him and/or smear some of her discharge on his nose. He will eventually understand and mount.

You will have to write on the calendar her heat cycle and try it the next time she is in heat.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Did they stay together 24/7 the last heat? How old is the buck?

4. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    They were together for about a week as soon as she started showing interest. We keep them in separate pastures, but they share a barn (they can see each other across a large hall, but can't get to each other. I noticed she was just standing there for quite some time staring at him and wagging her tail and he was getting really stinky so I moved her over. After I noticed they weren't being best friends anymore I moved her back. This will be her third pregnancy (if it takes). He is a 3 year old buck that has gotten two other almost 2 year old does pregnant.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    We tried holding her and leading him up to her yesterday. He was nuzzling her back end and making noise but she kept her tail down flat. We lifted her tail and she freaked out and started running. So that didn't work out.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she isn't in standing heat, she won't stand there and allow that. ;)
    But yet, if she isn't use to you touching her tail, it may of freaked her out.

You mentioned she was already in heat? How long has she been in season?

7. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I really have zero experience about this whole thing, so it was just a guess based on the things I saw. I have in my notes that on 9/6/20 she was standing on the milk stand staring at our buck and wagging her tail a lot. I let her in the buck pen and she let him mount her so I left her for about a week then moved her back to the doe pen. Prior to that I hadn't seen much tail wagging or anything that made me think she was in heat.
    I just observed the same type of behavior (trying to get close to the buck, then when in the same pen she let him mount her many times) for the last few days. Now I'm now seeing the same tail wagging and he's not really interested in her anymore.

I may have been completely off in all of my guesses though!

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She may not be taking(settling).

Is she having normal cycles, every 18 to 21 days?
    Or coming in heat earlier than that?

Is she over weight?
    Copper deficient? Fishtail look?

Is the buck copper deficient?
    Has the buck got any other does preggo recently?

9. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I hadn't been looking for signs of heat prior to last month, but that is when I first noticed it. She doesn't seem to be overweight or copper deficient, but I'm still not a pro at being able to tell by looks. She did let him mount her during what I think was her heat, it was just that he's a small buck and she is a large nubian. From what I can tell he didn't just quite reach where he needed to go. They were very affectionate when in the pen, but as soon as we went in to "help" they got distracted/shy.
    We currently have two other Nigerian Dwarf does that are pregnant by this buck.

10. We breed minis and while some does are tall, our ND will get them. He may have to try a few times but in general, where there's a will, there is a way. So I agree, there may be something going on with either of the two.

11. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    It's possible that I am overthinking things and he got the job done this cycle. This is only the second time they've been together and for all I know I missed the best opportunity last time.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

What you can do is:
    Write it down on the calendar, when she was acting in heat and allowing him to mount her, then, count 18 to 21 days, write down to watch her around that time frame.
    I watch up to 24/25 days after breeding just in case.
    If she doesn't show signs, then, she should be preggo.

If she does show signs, she has something going on there and needs to be seen by a vet.

13. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you! I will do this. Is it best to separate her from the buck again now that she is not showing signs of being in heat?

14. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    This is the doe. She is just over 3 years old.

Attached Files:

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She has such a sweet curious face

16. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    She's very sweet! She seems to respond to her name and will sometimes even bleat when I'm talking to her like we are having a conversation lol!!

17. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    For an idea of the size...here she is next to our small buck.

Attached Files:

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Where there is a will, there is a way.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, if they are getting along, you can leave them together for a little while, checking to see if she comes into heat again according to calendar note from when she was in heat. ;)

20. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Ok thank you so much! I really appreciate everyone's help! I'm such a newbie when it comes to all the details of goat-handling lol!