The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
JandHFarmWV
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious how soon everyone puts their bucks in with their does relative to when they want them bred. Example: last year I put my buck in with my does to breed for January 1 babies. I didn't have babies until January 7. The latest I had babies was January 20. That was with a buck who had bred does for 3 or 4 years. Just curious how everyone else does it.

·
JandHFarmWV
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im just curious how you decide when to put your buck in to get your babies a certain date. I need january 1 babies to sell for fair goats in my area.

·
14,760 Posts
We've never bred for a specific day, but we try to breed for a specific month. I think if you want exact day, you have to really do your research and know your goats.

We want mid/late January babies from the kids 5 adult does. The kids can pick their 4-H babies, then anything else we can sell or any unsold boys could go to auction before the decline in prices that usually happen after Easter.

Meanwhile, they have 2 young does they plan to breed at the end of the year. So, we'd like to put them with the buck so that they will kid when the older batch of kids are 2-3mo old.

So that's kinda how we do it.

Last year the buck was breeding 1 doe a week, drove me crazy lol Couldn't go anywhere for a month! But the buck this year has definitely bred 3 does, possibly 4 of the 5 since Saturday.

·
Registered
818 Posts
This year we got lucky, and our doe kidded the day before spring break. We don't plan very well, considering we don't have our own buck. If we happen to notice a doe in heat and know who she is going to be bred to, we pretty much madly rush over to the buck's house before it is too late. It can get to be a bit of a pain! :rolleyes:

·
JandHFarmWV
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it takes 145-150 days. But your does don't take as soon as you put the buck in with them. Especially the earlier In The summer you breed it seems to take longer for them to come in heat since their natural breeding season Is later In The fall even though thay can breed year round.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If you keep your buck housed completely away from the does, you can usually plan that most does will cycle within 10-14 days after putting the buck in with them. This works a lot better if the does are already cycling and the buck is in full rut.

If you really need kids born on January 1st, you should look into synchronizing your does with a CIDR.

ETA: I breed as they come into heat. This year I am going to wait to breed them until late September/early October so I have kids born closer to spring.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree with the others.

If you do the breeding naturally and the buck is just thrown in there. Some Does may come in then and there while others just came out of heat before the buck was put in. There are also times when A doe may not take on the first heat cycle but does on the 2nd, so it can make them almost an month apart.

If you put them in with the buck mid July look for Dec/Jan kiddo's

·
Registered
155 Posts
So would it be better to put you're buck and doe in a pen together with just them in it when she is in heat or is it better to just let the buck roam in the doe pen

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
If you can watch daily, and mark down all the breedings, you will know and be able to write down on the calender 18 to 21 days later. If they don't come in, they are preggo, ect.
But, if you are unable to observe, you can take the Doe to the buck when she is in season, yes. It is up to you. Both ways are OK, depending what you want.

Knowing due dates is so much better. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts