The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else is in New England? What times of year do you breed?

I am so excited to breed my babes, but we are just not ready for Dec breeding and May babies. (This is a bummer because I have a friend with 2mos old bucklings for $75)

Do you think about the time of year and the weather when you breed your herd? It stands to reason that being born during a New England winter might make for a rough start. On the other hand maybe it makes for a hardier inmune system.

Any thoughts?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I’m in New England and have had kids as early as February and as late as June. I definitely prefer February/March/April kids for sure. But that’s me.. there generally isn’t as much mud, and no real worm problems. Disbudding is easier on everyone in the cooler temps too.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
I don't have a "real" barn, just a stall. So we breed in November for April babies. Of course, some times that ends up meaning we breed in December for May babies. And once we ended up with June babies...

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
I would try not to have your does kid until march. But if you ask me, April and may and even June, haha, are much better and healthier for the kids.

My wethers were February babies, and we lost one who was weaker due to illness, I believe it was just too cold for him, he was often shivering.

I would not recommend to anyone on the east coast to have does kidding in February. Even March can be bitter here. I like April. April is nice. May is my favorite month, so I'm good with that too.

I know a lot of people who like having early October babies, though.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
CT here, we breed for mid March. I'd like to kid in late April & May instead but see a significant drop in growth due to parasites in spring kids. The veterinarians in this area do not recommend kidding after March.

I typically end up using heated kennel panels to provide heat the first few days for newborns if temps are below freezing

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in New England and have had kids as early as February and as late as June. I definitely prefer February/March/April kids for sure. But that's me.. there generally isn't as much mud, and no real worm problems. Disbudding is easier on everyone in the cooler temps too.
I am looking to breed 2 of my Dwarf Nigerians next month. Do you have a buckling or do you know of anyone in the area, Pepperell, MA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts