Breeding issue with billy

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AmyJoe, Oct 11, 2017.

1. AmyJoe

AmyJoe Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Southeastern KY
    Our Ranger is 1 yr old this month, he looks fine in the manly department but he is not showing any signs of being interested in our girls. He has been kept with our older male, who very obviously, was the dominate one. I split them up and put two of my girls who were for sure in heat, with him. He never even sniffed them and they only tried to head butt him. I was afraid to leave them together because the one doe is larger than him and I worried about his well being...plus I dont want to guess if she's gotten bred, I want to at least see him interested. He doesn't pee on his face and really doesnt have that buck smell. Any suggestions as to what I could do to spark his interest or is it possible he won't be a breeder...Hoping its too early to tell because he's the first line of our registered breeders

2. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    What breed? Nigerians?

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I would just watch him for now. I bought a new buck this year, he also came with straws of semen and he did the same thing and I was getting worried that all his offspring that I have seen was from does being AIed because he showed zero interest in the girls or peeing on his face either. Finally when the girls started to come into heat he did his job and none have come back into heat. For me that was very odd as well since the other boys are total perverts but in the end he came threw.
    Just watch him and if you see the girls start to come into heat and still no interest then I would probably then say he isn't any good

Tenacross and groovyoldlady like this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Keep him separate from the other buck. He may be intimidating him enough to not want to breed.

5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Young bucks do not have that strong musk that the older ones have and some don't really act all crazy like they do when they get older. He's still young, give him time to realize what he is supposed to do and keep him away from the older one.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  6. AmyJoe

AmyJoe Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Southeastern KY
    i've moved him and the girls i want to breed with him to their own stall in the barn. i know, for positive, that one girl was in heat and i watched them for a while....he paid no mind to her. they all go in heat around the same time so i'm just gonna leave them with him the whole month and into november. i like having my kids close together but if i have to i'll throw big john back in with them before its too late. maybe he's just shy and doing his thing at night or in the privacy of the barn

7. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Active Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Good advice.
    We bought a buckling this spring, and at 6 months old when put with a doe in heat showed no interest.
    Our vet asked us were we keeping him with any more mature bucks and we were.
    Vet said the same thing you did.
    So, we separated him and kept him in with a wether who was smaller than him.
    First time we tried him after that, he got the job done.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Another thing to try is, to walk the older buck up to the fence of the younger buck and the doe in season. Don't let him in the pen, just allow the older one to smell at the doe in season, and the younger guy, this will get the older buck going and may help the younger one get motivated. It is competition, but yet to where the younger guy won't get hurt or feel threatened. That is if you can walk your older buck around and control him, without getting hurt.

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree! This seemed to be a turning point for the buck I mentioned. When I put the loud mouth pervert with his girls that's when he started snorting, keeping the girls away from the fence and peeing on himself. I didn't walk the other along the fence line but just being able to hear him bellow at the girls got him acting like a breeder lol
    I also do agree with your plan. Having late kids would be better then none at all. I know for me it's hard to believe a buck will not breed just looking at the bucks I have but over the years hearing stories I have realized it's not all that uncommon........not super common but for sure can happen.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I do think it is worthwhile to give him a general check-up just to make sure nothing is slowing him down - get a rectal temperature, check FAMACHA score, makes sure he isn't showing signs of mineral deficiencies, give him a good look and feel all over, and a hoof trim. Then you can rest easy.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  11. AmyJoe

AmyJoe Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Southeastern KY
    He's been in the stall with the 3 girls I want to breed him with since I started this. I did the, tying the other buck on the other side of the fence and putting all my girls (6) in the yard with Ranger. All the girls in heat lined up to show the other buck what they had and Ranger just kept on grazing. But I intend to keep him with the 3 til their next cycle anyway. A couple of them I haven't seen their heat yet so I'm waiting with fingers crossed that he's just shy and quiet about it. Maybe likes his privacy.
    I did notice his poop is alittle more wet and larger than usual. His eyes look good and pink though so I'll just keep an eye on him. He's eating, drinking and acting normal other than not showing any perverted signs lol

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Does he have a fishtail or smaller in size looking scrotum? Copper deficiency can make them not interested.

Get a fecal for worms and cocci if you think it may be.

But you say he is grazing? is it a nice green pasture? If so, it may be he is eating too much of it, causing loser stool.

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Sometimes younger bucks are intimidated by does. Can you put him with only one doe at a time? If the does ganged up, on him, he may have decided to just stay away from them.

mariarose likes this.
  14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Also if the other buck intimidated him, being in his sight may also stop him.

mariarose likes this.
  15. AmyJoe

AmyJoe Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Southeastern KY
    he is getting to graze more than usual now...our yard is a couple football fields long and fenced. i kinda thought that too. i put him with the 3 less dominate girls and he is completely out of sight from the dominate buck now. i'll give him another heat cycle to see how it goes before finding another buck. his testicles look great lol i even felt all over them to make sure they seemed right. i saw him with his business all the way out, looking at it, once...he was standing beside our pyrenees who was laying down at the time..i wondered if he wasnt being rowdy with him. but i've never seen it again...but it looked normal also

16. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Well, maybe when the next doe comes into heat see if the Pyr wants to put in an appearance! lol.

17. wifeof1

wifeof1 Active Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Ohhh??? What are they suppose to feel like?