Breeding Issues

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by siouxray, Nov 24, 2009.

1. siouxray

siouxray New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Not sure if it's a problem or not... I have a 7 mo. Alpine buckling I'm using this year. He was in with the girls (1 Alpine, 2 Nubians, and 1 Saanen) for a little over a month. I did see him breed all 4 but I've had to re-breed both the Alpine & Saanen again this month. The Alpine is 10 mo. & the Saanen is 7 mo. (the Nubians are both 2 yrs). Is this common? Could it be a problem with him or possibly the does. He did breed them 3-4 times each time. Just worried & wondering... Thanks for any help!!! Jenn & the crew

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He is young, and having that many does to service by himself could be the problem, he's "over doing it" so to speak.

3. siouxray

siouxray New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    What is the best ratio for bucks to does? Next year I'll be breeding 6 does instead of the 4 - should be be able to handle next year better? Thanks!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not sure of the ratio but spacing the breedings should work. I do have 3 bucks and 3 does....1 for each and it usually just takes breedings over the 2 days the doe will stand. I personally space breedings according to my work schedule so it's easier for me to be here when needed, I also hand breed....the buck is on a leash while he does the job, allowing 2-3 breedings then he goes back to his pen til the next day for another 2-3 breedings if the doe is still willing.

If he is housed by himself, maybe think of keeping a buckling born in the spring and use him on the does that aren't his mother, this will keep your current bot happy with a companion and it won't "overwork" 1 buck..

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i've heard 6 : 1

but you can always go over if you space them out I guess

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depending on his age he might not be able to service that many does all at once. He might have gotten down to shooting blanks so to speak.

7. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    He is a young buck and may be a little limited and also the does are young 7mo and 10 mo so it might be that the "teens" are just not very ripe.