Breeding Meat to Dairy?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OhCee, Mar 12, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Do any of you crossbreed meat and dairy goats? Or know of anyone who does?

If you do, what breeds? How does it turn out?

I'm just curious, thanks!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have bred nubian to boer and the kids grew faster... they were gorgeous animals...good in milk and also in meat... this mix ...goes very well together.. :wink: :greengrin:

3. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Oh good :) That's what I was thinking, Boer Buck to Nubian does... Wethers would be meat, does would stay to be bred if they were good gainers...

Thanks!

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yep we cross em too! I have only one purebred Nubian she is really big but her 2yr old 50%Boer Nubie daughter is much bigger broader & longer.
    The best of both in one package! :thumb:

5. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Do you keep her daughters for milking as well as breeding for meat offspring?

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I do - I do!!!! I do Mini Fainters - LOL! Myotonics to Nigerian buck.

Previously I had some Boer/Sanaan girls that I bred to my nigerian and I had one that I bred to my Nubian and an alpine bred to a Boer.

Heck - meat is meat is meat - LOVE goat meat.

7. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    I have crossed Boer bucks onto Alpine, Saanen, Pygmy, and a Pygmy-Saanen cross. They are ALL excellent crosses. Lots of milk and meat. The 1/2 Boer; 1/4 Saanen and 1/4 Pygmy was the best tasting...lots of marbling!

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    nubian x boer... :love: I have one, katie and shes well built and has tons of milk

9. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    If it's safe to breed a Boer buck to a pygmy, is it also safe to breed to Nigi's? The man we bought our first 2 does from said after their second freshening it's safe to breed them to the larger bucks, but I wanted to make sure...

10. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    I am sorry....The Pygmy/Boer cross was Pygmy buck and Boer doe. The Saanen/Pygmy cross was bred to a Boer buck. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

I wouldn't bred a ND doe to a Boer buck but the other way around would be okay

11. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Ahhhh no worries :)

Yeah, I thought that sounded hinkey when he told me that! Thanks :)

You know what this means?? I gotta get a Nubian girl or two :p Hahah the bf will be sooooo happy...

12. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    When I get home from work tonight (on lunch break) I'll show you a photo of Holly, our Kiko-Saanen-Togg doe. She is due in one month and she's getting really big. We bred her to our Kiko buck. Cant wait to see what babies will be like. She is white with a dark line down her back. I've heard that the saanen color is dominant. Anyone else had that experience?

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Boer buck to Nubian doe makes excellent kids!! They grow so quick because of the dairy mom having more milk, definitely a great cross. I definitely wouldn't breed a Boer buck to a Nigi or Pygmy, their kids can be pretty stocky and I'd be concerned about birthing problems.

14. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Could I keep a Boer buck with my Nigi buck? Or would the Boer kick his butt into next Friday?

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    when they head butt each other ...the boer of course ..may injure the Nigi buck....if he is aggressive....with the playing...

But ...if you want to put them together and see how it goes.....then you can pull one out... if it gets out of hand..... some bucks get along.... but ...when they are in rut....they may get a little out of hand with the challenges.... :wink:

16. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    My Nigi buck is almost 8 weeks old. Would it be better to raise them together?

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It depends...how old is your boer buck.? If ...he is grown...he may be to rough on the little guy....at feeding time.... Goats....like to compete against each other ..especially at feeding time... With the size difference be careful....

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

IMO i've done nubians AND lamanchas.. lamancha crosses (though earless) cross like 20 times better.. my LM/Boer crosses were MASSIVE KIDS!.. even my PB lamancha kids are huge! last year i had two kids born at 6.5 and 7 pounds and by two weeks they were pushing 20 each! it was amazing

19. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Oh Pam! I don't have a Boer yet :) Just trying to plan and see if it would be wiser to get one about the same size as Stachie so they would grow up together... Or maybe get the baby Boer when Stachie is bigger so that he establishes dominance early? Hm...

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    OK...OhCee..... yeah... that might work ....you will have to see.. how they would get along.... and then decide... if they should be penned together...or not.... Good luck .... :wink: :greengrin: