The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I wanted to get your opinions on a few things. This is my Alpine doeling, Shasta, about a month ago. (If the pic works out! :pray: )She's almost 11 months old and weighed ~88 lbs. at her last weight taping.

I am very new to dairy goats, so I was curious what your honest opinions of her are. I know that the picture is not excellent, but I didn't have help at the time and she was being a pain on account of the snow. The other thing is that we are thinking about breeding her on her next heat, around the middle of January. There are so many conflicting opinions on the right age to breed. What would you do if she were yours? I hope I get some remarks that I can learn from! Thank you all!

Sam

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Well, that depends upon if she is a grower or a spurter. If she's a grower, then that means she's been growing steadily. If she's a spurter, she grows a bunch here and there. If she's a spurter, don't breed her. I've bred spurters before and in the end it takes another 1-2 years for them to catch up to the growers.

She is old enough, you just have to decide if you think she is growing well enough to breed her.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
She is definatly as big as my yearlings whom are bred. She looks like she grew very well as a yearling. I usually wait till they are eight months and eighty lbs. I would breed her if i were you. Do you have an alpine buck in your area?
What are her lines she looks like she is a nice doe and maybe would do well in the ring.
beth

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yep, I would definitely say that it would be fine for you to breed her. 8 months or 80 lbs is usually the norm... but then again there are a lot of people that wait longer, so it is really up to whether or not you want to. But if you want to breed her, I would say you are safe to go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! Sorry I took so long to reply - I forgot my password. oops. Thanks for your answers. That helped me out a lot. She grows pretty steadily, but she always seems to lose some weight right during and after heat. She is in heat right now but I am having trouble arranging to get her to the breeders before late tomorrow, so it may just not work out this year anyways. What do you think of her conformation? What does she need improving on? I am not very good at this yet and I'm always looking to learn. I would love to get into showing. Here is her pedigree:

POPLAR-HILL PROPELLER SHASTA - A001409425 (AM Doe)
DOB: 2/4/2007

SSSS : HOACH'S LARK LOYALTY

SSS : POPLAR-HILL LOYALTY CHAMPION

SSSD : POPLAR HILL SUN CHAMBRAY

SS : POPLAR-HILL CHAMPION FLASH

SSDS : POPLAR-HILL SUN ENCORE

SSD : POPLAR-HILL ENCORE FLASHY

SSDD : POPLAR-HILL EPIC GAUDY

S : POPLAR-HILL FLASH PROPELLER

SDSS : HOACH'S LARK LOYALTY

SDS : POPLAR-HILL LOYAL WASP

SDSD : POPLAR-HILL UP STING