Breeding Nigis to Nubians

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Dec 17, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I know that Nigerian bucks are way smaller than Nubian does, so when people decide to breed them for minis, how is this done? Can the buck reach the doe? I have a lady that really wants to breed her nubians to my nigi, her girls are bigger, but he bred a 7 year old nigi that was bigger than him.

I heard that if shes in heat, he will find a way no matter what. So is this possible?

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I have heard of them using a straw bale and holding the doe so the buck can mount her.

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    Yes, you may have to get a bit creative. Stand the doe in a hole or low spot giving the buck a bit of an advantage. I have stacked boards also. I tried the hay bale but the buck was a little nervous about it as they wobble a bit. The best is just finding a low spot or digging a rut to stand the doe in. I usually let the bucks try for a few minutes on their own first and usually you can tell if they will be able to make it work on their own.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It's possible for them to find a way, but when they are in standing heat, your buck will know. Put a bale, cinder block, etc. for him to step on and "do the deed", it shouldn't be to difficult to get them bred at all.

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    My Nigi buck bred (I am pretty sure) my Saanen doe. However, she is on the small size, and not full grown yet-, but she is bigger than he. I think they manage, if everyone is in the right mood...lol

6. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

haha thanks!

One of the girls is a TANK and shes only 1 year, shes bigger than her mom, but the lady said her mom isnt full nubian.

Im thinking once I get my new buck I will use him, hes bigger and older, more experienced. My current buck is like a player hahahaha

7. melbick

melbick New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Venus, TX
    We are branching out with our Nubians as well. Like everyone said our ND boy found away, not sure how since our girl is a good 18 inches taller than him but he did it.

It's like my grandmother tells me "where there is a will there is a way"

8. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    My nigi did the deed with my BIG cow of a Nubian girl (I call her that affectionately, she doesn't mind) and he is really little. I actually just left them in together for a few days (after we had some trouble id-ing her heats) and I saw her lay down for him. He is a first time breeder so I wasn't sure if it would take...but it seems to have.