Breeding plans?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by empera, Jun 19, 2009.

1. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    My doe Ocho Cinco (yeah, yeah, i know) is currently approaching 5 months and is growing favorably well. If I go by the 80 lbs/8 months, then she will ready to breed this Fall. She is a Boer/Ober cross.. or maybe Alpine? I rescued her from an organization that saves goats from the slaughterhouse.

My question is is should I breed her to a Nubian or Alpine? I'd like to improve milking and get some really flashy kids too. I remember someone telling me that Obers have smaller birth canals and you must be careful with breeding and kidding them. But then someone else said that wasn't correct! :scratch:

But since I'm not even sure if she is part Ober, I don't know what to do! I'm planning so far ahead because there aren't even that many people around here that offer stud services. :hair:

I found a few bucks from a nearby farm in Port Townsend, WA that would work out splendid and hopefully make some flashy kids.

Here's the Alpine buck I was looking at: Nixon's Valentino.
    [​IMG]

& Here's my first choice, but I don't have enough cash on hand for his breeding fee. Darn! Cactus*Point Executive Decision. (His head looks odd, but its at an odd angle)
    [​IMG]

And finally, here is my lovely Ocho! Her picture doesn't do her justice. Horrible camera and she wasn't exactly cooperating.
    [​IMG]

Any opinions? :scratch:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Any FF can have issues and As long as the buck you choose throws small kids you should be fine.

She looks a tad small for a 5 month old so I would be sure to breed her later in the fall as opposed to earlier.

I like the alpine buck - but you will end up with a lot more airplane ears from that breeding.

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I like the alpine buck too, seems to have better conformation. she is a pretty gal!!

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You must be close to me, i recognize both of those bucks! Diana Dyer and i are really good friends. I actually have three Valentino daughters. I have udder pictures from one of them around here somewhere, let me know if youre interested.
    The pictures of the Nubian buck dont do him justice, he really is a nice buck and out of one of the top does in the country, his dam was the 08 national champion. excellent blood lines behind him. His maternal grand dam is Kastdemurs Audacity. And temerity is a beautiful doe.
    You really cant go wrong either way.
    It really depends on what you want. With a nubian you will get higher butterfat. Valentino throws extremly dishy faces and pretty heads. His daughters have some of the prettiest heads in my herd. His kids tend to be a litter heavier boned then some alpines. I have two kids out of heavier does and one out of an extremly refined does. All three turned out nice. Sera is the heaviest of the three. But her dam was heavier and out of a shorter stockier line. Sera is the only one that i have freshened and seen so far. She has a really nice wide rear udder and awsome attachments. Her teats are a little larger then i would like and her fore is a bit short but her dam was the same way. She does have smaller teats then her dam did and is wider in the rear.
    hope this helps.
    beth

5. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Sparks, I'm actually really close to you. I'm on the border of renton and issaquah. When I first looked at her available bucks, the nubian caught my attention but I've decided to go with Valentino. I don't know anything about conformation or anything but Valentino looks more level to me. Can you post pictures of his daughters? Im really excited about all of this but I didn't know who to contact.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

there are pictures of the three daughters on my website. They are the first three on the jr doe page, sera, scarlett, and juno. they are all dry pictures. i will see if i ca dig up seras udder pictures.
    beth

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That buck is out of Temerity? Wow, he should be nice then!! I don't think you could go wrong either way. And from what I've heard (I really don't know a fig about Obers though) is it's the kids head shape that sometimes makes them a bit difficult to deliver, not the birth canal size.