Breeding possibility???

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by liz, May 17, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Heidi is her dam Tilly's replacement and I am back and forth on wether or not she should be bred this fall....October at the earliest.
    She is now 15 months old, stands 17" at the withers and weighs 32#. To me she is small and I hope she grows well in the next 4-5 months otherwise I'll have another "hayburner"
    Here she is next to 8 week old Bonnie
    [​IMG]
    And with Binky, Bonnies' dam
    [​IMG]
    And with her mom, Tilly
    [​IMG]

And a rear shot
    [​IMG]

Tilly had a wonderful easy to milk udder with decent attachments, I hoped to continue her through her daughter....but I have reservations and am just asking opinions.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very nice and wide -- I found that by breeding them they grew faster. I know sounds weird but Angie grew up faster then Jitterbug did and personality wise too.

She has plenty of months to grow for your sake but she isnt a bad size at all

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you.....it's awful how I stress over these things this far in advance! She'll be paired with Chief as Hank is her sire and Teddy shares Tilly's dam.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Anyone else? I value all of your opinions :hug:

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I think she'd be fine. I had a really tiny doe kid fine before, probably around her height. She should be OK. ;)

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you Tara....Heidi has a bit of Nigerian back in her bloodlines but she has that short wide body of a pygmy, I hope her short body doesn't cause her problems :?

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Not a problem. :) I'll have to measure my does and let you know. I know this lady had a tiny tiny doe and that doe kids fine. Looks to be smaller than 17 inches. She is below my knee and my knee is like 1 foot from the ground...and she's smaller than that.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have found that my yearlings or late two year olds hit a huge growth spurt about three months into their pregnancy. Just be sure to keep her on a good quality hay and good grain ration so she can supposrt herself and her growing kids.
    beth

9. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    She looks healthy, Like other have said - she still has some growing to do - you may be suprised with how much growing she may do this summer. I bet by Oct. you will think she is ready.

Deidre

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks, I hope she grows a heap...her dam was a dream to milk and Heidi is her replacement....I hope :)

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I breed them when I feel they're big enough and some are somewhat small. They don't look like a 3+ year old doe when they kid but they're not suppose to. There's only been one that I wouldn't have repeated last fall when breeding. But she did just fine with a single doeling. However, we do have a doeling who's accidently bred for late September. She won't be a year old then. I haven't been able to be sure whether or not she returned to heat yet or if she could be settled. I think I'll let it run its course though. She's not big though. We have a 13 month old doe out there who's the same size as she is. But that doe is small for her age and still not bred.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there was this TINY TINY 1 year old doeling with a buck at her side that was half her size!! She was smaller then Jitterbug. But she was producing lots of milk. I will show you pictures when I post pictures on the show

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ashley, I know that you had said that you go by the thurl, as well as the hip points,and last year with Angel's accidental breeding I panicked and you were one of those who reassured me by saying that she was wide enough...thanks, but with Heidi, I'm surprised that she isn't even as big as Angel was at 6 months old...Heidi is now 15 months old, I try to imagine a kid coming thru between her hip points and she looks big enough but I still wonder.

Thank you Stacey....I appreciate that reassurance. :hug:

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I still go by that but I also go by body size. Mariposa is small in all accounts. She's grown out very well and I aim to pamper her now to ensure she can grow more. I don't want to have problems later but its possible.

15. Liz, she is plenty old enough if I understand right, 15 months old. As for size, I have three does on this farm right now 3 years old and all of 17' high. The last kid from Jordan you can see in the pics here. I know of two breeders in Myotonics that are getting far more for their minis right now then their standard too. Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww ...JD....what a cute little goat........so adorable... love the coloring to... :love: . :wink: :greengrin:

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you John for the confidence! Your doe is a pretty girl!

I know that my Heidi is old enough...but even her own mother was 2x her size in weight and length at 15 months, I am thinking that may be my problem, besides thinking too much, Heidi isn't very long at all, in fact she is a compact little pygmy/nigi that is more pygmy than anything.

18. Just keep your buck small and you should be fine. :wink: :greengrin:

19. Thanks Pam, I loved him too but he had to be sold. :(

There is only enough room for one small buck on this property and Jester is it. :thumb:

[​IMG]

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have 3 bucks here....1 of which is her sire and a pygmy....the other 2 are nigerians. I had thot of breeding her back to her sire as he throws small kids BUT it is unethical on my end to do so, My pb nigi buck has thrown small kids and he himself was a small baby...as is his dam and sire sooooo....Chief may be the lucky man come October.