The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mornin' everyone!

I have a date set in the next week or two for a registered nigerian dwarf buck to spend 3 weeks with my two nubian does in hopes of a successful union =) I have only seen one of the does come into heat once so far this season, but I'm hoping having him around will speed things up.

To prepare for their hopeful breeding, I've been giving daily probiotics and keeping a close eye on their overall body score and health. Do you guys recommend doing anything else to make the visit as successful as possible?

They last had their CD/T in May or June of last year, and I planned on giving them their next annual dose sometime this weekend. Should I be giving anything else ?

Finally - How are you guys confirming pregnancy? By blood test? Once they are confirmed pregnant, what type of extra care and vaccinations will the girls need? I heard someone mention chlamydia but not sure if that is necessary.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
***UPDATE*** I found a forum that was great for answering a lot of these. It seems that BO-SE is recommended prior to breeding, but it is RX only. Any good alternatives? My vet retired.

Also - The girls got a copper bolus last week.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
You can give daily probiotics for the rest of the goat's life if you want. The question is, is it really needed. Most of the time, the answer is no. But during times of stress or illness, certainly give daily probiotics. You really don't need to give probiotics prior to breeding. Usually it really isn't a stressful time.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
You can give daily probiotics for the rest of the goat's life if you want. The question is, is it really needed. Most of the time, the answer is no. But during times of stress or illness, certainly give daily probiotics. You really don't need to give probiotics prior to breeding. Usually it really isn't a stressful time.
I heard about a goat that became reliant on probiotics daily after over-use. This is why I don't recommend giving it daily for life or even when it is unnecessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts