The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite doe of ours (Liberty) has had something strange about her female parts since birth. I tried to find a picture where it could be visible, and this was the best I could find. You can see it if you look close. It is really pink in the first pic.

She has a pea sized bump that sticks slightly out of her vulva, and has had that since day 1 when I first noticed it. It hasn't gotten bigger or smaller.

It seems to be connected to a tendon or something that runs strait back in as far as I can feel externally.

I showed it to a breeder friend at a show on Friday and she said Liberty will probably never breed. She thinks Liberty could be neither a female or a male. I know that has a word but can't remember it. :confused:

Has anyone seen this before or know of what it could be? I would be devastated if this doe won't breed...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have read about that- in Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats.

I can't quote it word for word, but it described that condition almost exactly as you did, and said that such kids are hermaphrodites, and should be destroyed. :( That's what the book said, not me.
That's all I can contribute, I've never encountered it before otherwise.

I sure hope that's not the case, and she will be able to be bred for you. :hug:

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read about that- in Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats.

I can't quote it word for word, but it described that condition almost exactly as you did, and said that such kids are hermaphrodites, and should be destroyed. :( That's what the book said, not me.
That's all I can contribute, I've never encountered it before otherwise.

I sure hope that's not the case, and she will be able to be bred for you. :hug:
Sigh... :( Me too. We love this doe.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
yep sounds like it could be a Hermaphrodite..

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Try anyway. Yes she does have some characteristics of a hermie BUT, she is not showing the buckiness that they normally do. She may just have an enlarged clitoris. If so, she will breed just fine. Another way to tell a hermie is that the teats are very tiny like a wethers. OSU has a blood test for hermies and free martins now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i'm afraid he might be correct especially if it goes inside that would be the rudimentary penis, i hope i'm wrong maybe it's a huge clitoris, how old is she and have you ever seen her in heat?

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She's 6 1/2 months. I think I have seen her in heat?

We will still try to breed her, but I wanted to AI her. Of course we won't try that now.... I heard the blood test is really expensive but we may try that?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I could find out. A friend just had it done to a free martin she ended up with. I'll e-mail her about it.

I see nice sized teats hanging down in every picture. That would give some hope.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
she is a beautiful doe!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You should probably have your vet examine her. It may not be that at all. But, if it is, I would want to know as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I would watch and see if she cycles as she should be in heat soon if she is ever going to be. I dont know about the cost of the blood test it would of course be a simple dna test she is either xx or xy(male) in that case she is phenotypically female and genotypically male.This is the form of hermaphroditism common in cattle. Just a quick question was she a twin with a buck? I know it isnt supposed to matter with goats and sheep but it sure does matter in cattle. My masters is in dairy genetics so i'm just wondering if it is more common in goats than it was previously thought. Now you are going to tell me that she was a single and blow my theory out of the water. I know there is a correlation between hermaphrodite goats and polled parents, but since she is a boer that shouldnt be a factor. Well anyway I would be very interested in documenting her case if she is indeed a hermaphrodite.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
You could also probe her with a speculum. A hermie normally had a short blind vaginal opening.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I refuse to believe it. Also what Goathiker said... I (we) might be wrong, but it would seem like you could tell more if you put a speculum with a light source in her. A good vet or someone who has done AI should be able to tell you if the inside looks normal. And that's the part that counts. My doe Charish has a bump right there and she kidded quads last year. I'll try and get a pic. .

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She was a twin with a buck yes... Is that a good thing or a bad thing enchantedgoats?

Thanks for the glimmer of hope Tim... I don't want to believe it either. It would be devastating. We love this girl.

I'll see if I can get Pat Hendrickson to look at her. She would know... She did the AI clinic last week or the week before in Chehalis.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It's a bad thing. what happens is the female twin absorbs some male cells from her brother and becomes some of both. so actually the female is a chimera hermaphrodite. that doesnt mean your girl is one it would just be interesting if she is.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Goat hiker is giving you awesome advise. We have had some with the calf's but since they looked so bully we never looked at vagina just sold them to beef packers. She is 100% right about the prob thing. With cows its called the pencile test if it goes so far good to go if not no good but have never done it. I would still give her a try if you don't do the blood test. If need be give her a few months and breed her a little early. At least that way if she's no good you you will want to find a home for her you don't have to feed her for ever. I'm sure you can find her a good home as a pet.
I often wonder about this with the goats. Cows if a boy and girl are the twins they are no good. I'm guessing the egg splits with them is why. And I wonder just how often kids are born from a split egg and not 2 different eggs. I know there are terms for this lol but I go the graphic way ;)

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We'll certainly see if our vet or AI friends can tell...

Wow, that is interesting. Never heard of that before! Why'd it have to be this doe though. :( I sure hope we're wrong.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts