Breeding problems [A few kids too]

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nubiansrus, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Guest

Nov 15, 2008
    My apologies if this is in the wrong forum Im new to this forum. I have a few questions about breeding. 6 months ago I put a few of my does in with my buck, thought they were breed. There tummies are growing like crazy, utter looked to be filling up and everything. Well this was 6 months ago.. and no kids... [well we got 3 kids from another group] Can several does at a time get milk but not be pregnant? Also my buck seemed to be very partial to just a few of my does... he breeds them almost right away. But the others he leaves alone. Someone told me to wait til nov to start my breeding that its when they come into heat and will breed easier... so I waited... but my buck still doesnt seem to be breeding anyone. Do I just have a picky buck?

Heres a few of this years kids just cause I love them lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    First off welcome to the goat spot glad to have you.... :wave: .. How long did you have your does in with your buck? Your buck may be partial to just a few of the does ...because those does may be in season....and the others may not of been... :shrug:
    beautiful kids in the pis ....love them.... :love: :)

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    How old is your buck? Has he bred and had any other offspring? It could be that hes not fertile..

4. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Guest

Nov 15, 2008
    I put them together when I thought the does were in heat... I thought... he was breeding them then after a few weeks he seemed to get aggresive toward them. I thought this was when they were no longer in heat, and he wasnt interested in breeding them anymore. But this doesnt seem to be true now since they werent breed.

He is 3 yrs old, and he has 5 kids total. 4 from one doe over 2 yrs and... then one kid from another doe.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to the Goat Spot!!

I have mini's so I'm not sure of the bigger breeds...I do know that most of the large dairy breeds don't come into heat until fall...but Nubians originated in a warmer climate, same as pygmy and Nigerian Dwarfs, I believe that they may have a "heat/rut" period of early fall/late summer to late winter. Your girls may not have been in heat when he "serviced" them....as far as the growing udders...if these girls are first fresheners it is common for "precocious" udders...due to hormones...they don't even need to be near a buck for this to happen.

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I can't offer any help, just wanted to say welcome to the Goat Spot and that is one adorable kid. I love those long ears. I need to add a nubian on to my list of goats to get :)

7. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    welcome to THE goat spot

OMG i thought the goat in that first pic was my Pig
    they could be twins!
    [​IMG]

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sometimes the does may be in season and be bred (some do have false heats)......some may not take the first time around it's a good idea to leave the buck in with them for at 2 to 3 cycles ....to insure that if they come back in season.....he can try again... :) ..I have had does get bred .....to find out....they come back into season the next cycle but do take on the next breeding....... :)

9. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Guest

Nov 15, 2008
    Someone told me that if the doe is breed that the male will try and abort the kid so he can get her pregnant again. So it wasnt good to keep the doe in there with the buckfor to long. Do you guys disagree? I am thinking about just throwing him in with everyone breedable for the next couple months, but is this dangerous? Most of my goats have horns.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I personally don't do this, but I do know of "big goat" owners that do run their buck with the does...once he is established within the herd they all should get along pretty well...though regardless of being buck or doe, feeding time can be a trial as I've seen bucks push does out of the way...more forcefully than another doe would. I think the only risk you would run with "pasture breeding" is not knowing an exact due date with your does. Let him run with them til January...then you should be getting May to June births.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is something I never heard before....but ..no a buck does not try to abort a doe just to breed her again....

I pasture breed with real good success.....I do agree with Liz....... at feeding time though...... I have had some bucks that were perfect gentlemen... that didn't beat around the does..... and had 1 ...that was a real mean one ...that slammed......and of course I sold him ....real quickly...but I had to wait til breeding was done...because he was a real nice looking buck...... I don't like mean and will not tolerate it.... ...so you have to be sure that..... the feed is well spread apart so ...the does can get away and don't have to fight to eat.....when the buck tells the does to move away they do .....and usually do not try that area to feed and go to another.......
    I breed boers and I watch them....I seem to be lucky enough to catch them every time when bred.... I write down on the calender right away so I know every due date on my does..... :)

12. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Guest

Nov 15, 2008
    Thank you for the info.

I tried to breed my does early because June babies here will not be a great thing. It gets 115+ here in temps in June. So Im not sure what to do about this. Wanted to get the breeding done early but the buck doesnt seem to like that idea.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome....
    wow 115+ is awfully hot....your buck should breed all of your does with success...if you leave him in with the does for a few months.....
    If he doesn't .......he may have a problem...and I would recommend geting a different buck.........

14. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Cute kids and welcome to TGS!

I raise Mini-Nubians here in Ohio.

15. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Guest

Nov 15, 2008
    Thank you... :)

What method does everyone use for knowing if the doe is pregnant? I know nothing is sure but I know people have things that are pretty accurate. Ive heard of feeling for the ligaments. But Ive been unable to feel them. Anyone care to try and educate me on this one?

16. Candy

Candy Guest

May 14, 2008
  17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Nubiansrus, we generally breed our Nubians in late November into Decemberm so we get April and May babies, otherwise, up here in Minnesota, is way too cold if we kid in the middle of the winter.
    I think a good time for you to breed your Nubians could be anywhere from October through December, then when they kid, it won't be as hot in the middle of the summer. But whatever works best for you and your set up and plans.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ligaments are on either side of the tail head...if you feel for them now they'll feel like 2 pencils...you can feel them on your buck also. The ligs aren't a good way to go as far as checking for pregnancy, it's more of an indication of impending labor and delivery.

One way I know for sure when my does are preggy is the absense of heat....and then about 2 months along I can feel for a growing uterus. Mine are mini's so wether it would work on a fullsize dairy doe I'm not sure. Get the doe to stand still, in a milkstand w a headgate or even have someone hold her...put your palm flat against her belly, directly in front of her udder and gently push upward, you should feel a hard "ball"....when they aren't preggy you won't feel it....my mini girls are squishy feeling when they aren't preggy and I know how they feel when they are. Usually it is just about 2 months along when I can feel a difference later than that I can feel kids fluttering( usually 3-4 months)

There are other members that can tell by looking at the way their rears look...under the tail it's called the Pooch Test, some people can tell at 2 months and others not til 3 months...it's not worked well for me because I have one doe that looks the same no matter when she is preggy or not. If you can get good clear pics of your does rears with the tail up, post them and I'm sure someone can "read" the pooch for you. Don't worry about feeling silly looking at your does butts or even taking pics...we have all done it and have become obsessed with "wanting to know" :ROFL:

19. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Guest

Nov 15, 2008

One of my does I got my answer yesterday when she came into heat.. blah. I will have to post pictures of the doe I really wonder about and see what you all think. Ihave pics of her from a few months ago, and everyone thought she was due in about a month on anoter site. That was 2 months ago... she continues to grow. I felt so silly when I took those pics. Ill see if Ican get some more. Shes actually a pygmy or pygmy cross my hubby got at the auction. We think she came to us pregnant but were unsure.

Thank you for the info.

20. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Guest

Nov 15, 2008
    ****Made a new thread for this, thought no one would see it here***

Any tips on how to get noticeable pics? I went out and tried but it didnt go well. This is the girl I think it pregnant that we got from the auction. Any guesses? She would be due in at most a month and a half.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This girl would only be 2 and a half months along? Can you tell then? Shes never had kids before Iraised her from a bottle baby

[​IMG]

Now this one maybe to far away. Shes a little over 2 months along if shes breed... also a first timer we raised. Hubby was making fun of me trying for these pics. The rest I got were to far away I think.

[​IMG]