Breeding problems

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AlaskaBoers, Jul 8, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Calypso came into heat yesterday so I intoduced her to the buck..she was definetly in heat...bucky, swollen, discharge and flagging...but the buck was NOT interested at all..he just went and laid down, she was freaking out being so far away from her doe friends..any ideas, will I need to use another buck, or what?

just seems odd I never had a problem with DQ, or Thor they were more than happy to breed a doe.. :?

2. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Leave her in with him for a couple of days. He will warm up to the concept.

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I never had that happen, my bucks are always ready and biting at the bit to breed a doe. :shrug:

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I am having the same problem this year.... :angry: I need them bred for next years market kids but, Billy got llazy and doesn't even notice tthat she is there!

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hmmm...that's frustrating! My boys are always ready to breed the girls even when they're not in season. :roll: It may be the buck?? I would leave them together for a bit, wait and see how it goes.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You could of just missed the cycle, or you are a day or so early. Leave her with him. He will take care of her. :wink:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    some bucks are night time breeders, you don't catch them doing it ....camera shy sort of speak or to hot in the day.....I had another breeder tell me ...that about his buck.....never caught him breeding ... knew that the does where in full heat.....5 months later they kidded... :shrug: Another thing is possible that... feeding some show feeds ...has something in it ...so they don't get all rambunctious... in the show ring ..to want to breed...makes them lazy.....also ..if he is over weight... it makes them lazy as well. :wink:

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I have heard that same thing about the feeds, Pam. I was going to ask if it was too hot, but you are in Alaska. Maybe it's hot for up there? Our bucks get a little more sluggish when the weather is hot but usually they are ready to breed any and all does. :roll:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :hi5: Olivia ...yes Alaska is getting record breaker... hot temps this year....Katrina can tell you just how hot.. :wink:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes its very hot. I put them together at noon yesterday, an then took her out to broswe, then back in at 11:30pm

hes not on any special feed, but still looks good and conditioned. I suppose I'll just leave the two lovebirds together :roll:

thanks

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome Katrina... :thumbup: ...good luck.... :hug:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well i put her in there again..and went back in the house in case he was just being shy..lol

she was ready to breed, she backed up to him and flagged in his face, peed, rubbed all over him...and he just flapped his tongue twice.. :doh:

maybe its the heat..but he needs to do his job :hair:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh ..how aggravating...... :hair: :hug:

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    you'd betcha....lol

hopefully they'll get it done.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah.. I guess you will know naturally..around.. 4 months along... :wink: Or ..have a pooch test done here ...at 2 months along... :greengrin:

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yup!

I separatred them today..calypso was not getting to eat in there..bossy buck!

I'll just have to keep checking heats and having a pooch test done here..I would do a preggo test, but i'm not testing again until next year spring I think.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Got cha Katrina... :wink: ....well good luck..with the breeding.... :greengrin:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    good job Katrina.. :thumbup: :greengrin: