The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you have experience breeding pyrenees? I've been trying for 6 months to breed our female and it's not working out. She is 4 years old, never bred before. Our male is 2 and is all over her. He doesn't seem to quite get it, but have seen him in correct position a few times. She's been in heat once for sure...maybe 2-3 times. We trimmed her up a bit to make it easier for the male...but maybe you're supposed to really clip the whole back area??? Any thoughts or info appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I wonder if they are like other animals. The older they get and never bred, the harder it is to get them bred.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering the same thing. :/

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Dogs only come in heat every six months or so. When you see her discharging, count 8 days and that is when she will be able to be bred. From the 8th day to the 18th day. She may not have taken the first time. Some of the mounting you have seen may just be a dominance thing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
^^ agree. And yes, dogs are like other animals in the respect that the older they are the harder it is to breed them for the first time, though 4 years old should NOT be too old.

Sorry, just retread that. Lol. Sometimes my brain works faster than my thumbs. Lol. Edited ad fixed it!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Don't get discouraged if you've only been trying for six months. Four is plenty young enough to breed. Have you seen them tie during the breedings? If not, your male is probably having an issue, not the female.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
He's been in the right position, but I don't think he's actually attempted to breed her. More like playing and practicing his moves. .LOL. They have not tied. Maybe I'm wrong and she hasn't actually come into heat yet.

Should I leave them together or take him out until she has an obvious heat? Also, do I need to clip them tight around their reproductive parts?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been a while. Had the dogs separated for several months. The female is back in heat and standing. The male gets in position and tries to get the job done, but no hook up has taken place. After further investigation, I've discovered that the male is not extending his penis. I gently pressed back on his foreskin and the penis extended and he promptly and vigorously humped the air and got an erection. Afterward, I noticed a little bit of blood around the foreskin area. Is any of this normal? He's almost 3 and has never bred. Is there something wrong with him, or is he just inexperienced and dumb?

Sent from my XT881 using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
It's normal, he sounds like he is just inexperienced. And as far as the blood goes, I have had that happen with one of my males before, and he has always been healthy and sired nice pups.

If he still isn't getting it this time around, when he mounts her, try to assist a bit. He may have "low drive".

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Little Bits. Anything I can do to help increases his drive?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes, but it may take a while to really help. I'd give him some supplements to increase his libido and support his reproductive health. Damiana will increase his drive, you can get it in the pharmaceutical isle, it's a herbal supplement that comes in pills, just feed the whole pill to him. Top dress his feed with wheat germ oil, about an ounce. I'd also give him Saw Palmetto, Tribulus Terrestris, Sarsaparilla root, and Ester C. And a multi vitamin wouldn't hurt.
All of those will help his drive, sperm motility, sperm health, sperm count, prostate health, and organ health.

All these come in pill form in the supplemental isle. Give him one of each a day. You might not get her bred on this cycle without assistance, or AI, but with the supplements you'd most likely get her bred the next time. I'd build them up with the supplements for 2 months before she is due to come in heat again, and you can feed the exact same supplements to her as well.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are these people supplements? Thank you very much for the info. Goats and sheep I get. Dogs...nor so much. LOL!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! I'll give it a shot. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts