The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to breed my young doeling Hope in December. She was born January 8th 2013, so she will be nearly a year old at the time.
Thing is, she is about as large now, at nearly 8 months of age, as my twin doelings (Sage and Penny) at at about 4 and a half months of age...
She's small...
I don't want to breed her to a standard-sized buck, because the idea of her birthing a standard-sized kid scares me to no end... She is just so tiny!

So I wanted to ask...

Would breeding her to a Nigerian Dwarf buck ensure a SMALLER offspring? that would be EASIER for her to give birth to..???

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you really believe she is not ready, it is not worth the risk to breed her. I always wait to breed them until they are a year and a half to two years, but it is considered safe if you go by the 80 pounds or 9 months rule. I personally just don't like to stress their bodies and minds at such a young age, and when they are still growing a lot themselves. If she is not the right size, please use your best judgement and breed her when she is ready. Size and health are far more important than age any day. Good luck with your decision!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well Hope is NOT a ND. She is 50% Nubian and 50% Oberhasli.
She is just small. I don't know why. It's not like she is starving! LoL

I was brainstorming on how to help make her first pregnancy and birth easier...
Health wise, she is doing AWESOME.
She is of a very healthy weight (kind of 'round' actually), energetic, and just healthy all around.

I think she will be ready to breed and kid (she will be almost a year of age), I just worry because of her size.
I wanted to know if breeding to a smaller breed of buck would help make sure her babies will be smaller... :)

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I even still bottle feed her once a day (we have milk to spare right now!). LOL
I guess I'm hoping the extra milk will help boost her size a bit more. LOL
Silly, I know...! But she LOVES LOVE LOVES her bottle.!!!

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Nigerian buck should produce smaller kids. My Alpine/Nubian always produced smaller kids than a full size goat when bred to a Nigerian.

·
1,524 Posts
But, its not a guarantee that a Nigy buck would producte tiny kids. The few times my standard sized does were bred to a Nigerian buck, the kids were no smaller than the other full standard kids at birth. Their adult size was a bit smaller, but they were the same size up until about 2 months of age.

Amy, was the breeder you spoke to an Oberhasli breeder?

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obi's....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*:shocked:*:drool:*:shocked:*:drool:*:shocked:* DROOL *:shocked:*:drool:*:shocked:*:drool:*:shocked:*

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I REALLY want to bring an Oberhasli up! BADLY. They are SO hard to find here!

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much are you guys asking for a doeling..???
*** drools ***

·
Registered
112 Posts
How much are you guys asking for a doeling..???
*** drools ***
Our family milkers are $150 and our show quality girls are $250. All of our babies will be duel registered IDGR and ADGA. We maintain a CAE/CL free herd. Looking forward to hearing from you, and happy to answer any questions you might have. Yes, Obers are something to drool about:thumbup::thumbup:...I did ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts