Breeding Q's from Novice

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by nancy d, Aug 12, 2009.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Our Boer buck is 6mos old wonderfully aromatic & ready to go to work.
    A few weeks ago put a doe in for him & he kept falling over trying to reach her & it wasnt from penetration.
    Just had another doe flagging so she is with him now. She seems to be fighting him somewhat, not rubbing on him like I've seen in the past with other bucks.
    I admit its a dumb question but should I just leave her in there for a several days? Throw another doe in there too? This is all new to me.
    Took a Nub doe to be bred elsewhere she stood for him without any romancing at all. :help:

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

She may not be in full standing heat yet- they can show signs of heat but not be ready to stand yet.
    I would leave him in with her- just watch and make note of the day you actually see them breeding.
    Go by the last day he breeds her to calculate your due date :)

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I woudl only leave the one doe with him -- two would be a distraction at this point since he is new at it ;)

5. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh Proctorhill, my thoughts exactly! One yr I never saw any action. He was barely a yr old. Kiddings were all in one week. Last yr I only a little with an older buck, everybody kidded in like 4 days.
    Stacey my thoughts were for a little diversion.

Yesterday I brought an FF in she ran around like he was some kind of monster so I took her out.
    Guess Im gonna have to be patient with this, wait till I see flagging.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey....for a beginner... it will confuse him.... :wink:

Also remember... he is still a young kid.....the does.. don't take him seriously...and are a bit annoyed by him..... eventually ...when they are at standing heat .....they should stand for him.....It is a new thing... for the little guy...the girls may be a little tall for him to....If he can reach... eventually he will do the deed....good luck... :greengrin:

7. It depends on how aggressive she is. Remember he will have to declare dormancy over a doe if they have not declared their ranks yet.

8. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Put an older doe in with yesterday. He is maybe 2/3 her size & about 6" shorter.
    His front legs are all brown & he talks trash all hours of the day & night. It rained last night & apparently he had evicted the two wethers out cause they were kind of wet this am.
    Lela doesnt have any goo yet from being bred but is still flagging.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a doe - junior - being SO FRESH with a buck but he just wanted to romance her first, loving all over her blubbering away. once he wanted to get down to business she was like ok Ive had enough. I held her for him and she kidded 140some odd days later. SO sometimes those Juniors need a little extra help on their first breeding opportunity.

10. lol! I wish I could record some of the sounds my buckling makes when he's feeling amorous! Its hysterical. It was so loud and so unlike any other sound Ive heard a goat make. I heard it from inside the house and thought he must be trapped in a wire fence or something! I came running out of the house ready for an emergency and found him trailing a doe, sniffing all up on her and going "wah WAH W A HHHHHH" Too funny.

11. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh that singing & blubbering & kissy noises just warm my heart. Even his aroma.
    And the What what WAAA?? in cartoon voice.