The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when the doe and buck are in the same pen, once it "takes" do they still go at it or does the doe run from the buck? Curious, for future info sake but also my oberhasli buckling and my nubian/lamancha doe was going at it for about 5 minutes in the pen. I don't think anything happened but just asking for future breedings.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
The buck will still want his work out...I usually try to get three visuals then I will move them out of the breeding pen..if the doe is not quite ready...in the flirty but no touching stage I will leave them in the pen all day or night...
a good indication she was bred is a messy rear....if you catch a visual...you will know he made contact if she tucks her rear inward and her back will arch..Always mark the day the doe was first in with the buck...this is your count from day..even if he didn't breed her until the next day...Or if you got a visual ..that is your count from day..if in about 21 days she is mouthy again..wagging that tail..then breeding did not take place and you try again ..:D

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The buck will still want his work out...I usually try to get three visuals then I will move them out of the breeding pen..if the doe is not quite ready...in the flirty but no touching stage I will leave them in the pen all day or night...
a good indication she was bred is a messy rear....if you catch a visual...you will know he made contact if she tucks her rear inward and her back will arch..Always mark the day the doe was first in with the buck...this is your count from day..even if he didn't breed her until the next day...Or if you got a visual ..that is your count from day..if in about 21 days she is mouthy again..wagging that tail..then breeding did not take place and you try again ..:D
Thank you. I don't think anything happened, but it's definitely going on the calendar. She did stand for him a quite a few times though, but it was kinda dark in the barn. I will count the days, and then check again... I think maybe if in doubt I could just put them in a pen together at night.

·
I'm watching you
22,261 Posts
Now my Alpine buck, Cedar, won't chase or even try with a doe that's pregnant. He is my best pregnancy indicator. When all the does are bred, he goes out of rut and is just done being a buck for the year. I hope my LaMancha buck learns from him.

My Oberhasli buck on the other hand, he was mean to the does. You couldn't pen breed with him, he'd chase the does to death. He no longer lives here.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
You could put him in with her as long as he is gentle and not aggressive..as Goathiker said..some bucks wont rest

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes Goathiker, an oberhasli buck?? I thought they were supposed to be the gentlest breed... I hope Charlie doesn't get to be like that. Unfortunately my kinder buck appears to be the aggressive one... I think this will be his last season here. Thank you both for the tips... I didn't think my Nubian/Lamancha girl would be in heat yet, but I was wrong....

·
I'm watching you
22,261 Posts
Yeah, supposed to be didn't work on him. He also bit people hard on purpose. Let's just say my brief exploration with Oberhasli was disappointing in many ways. I think you'll have better luck.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sure hope so. He seems pretty well behaved so far, I've been working with him, he's only 4 months old....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts