Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Sep 22, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, Claribelle got bred today (I think). Actually, I didn't see her get bred as I was gone but when I came back (our buck was w/ her) she had goo on her bottom. Should I be pretty sure she got bred?? Royal knows what he's doing. :) When I left this morning, she wasn't in raging heat but she's always pretty quiet about her heats. Any thoughts? I'm writing down the date, I sure hope she got bred! She would be due 2/13/09 :D

Oh, this is her first time, she's plenty big enough to breed at 8 months. It surprised me that she grew so well as she was a bottle-baby.

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Ohhh...thank you for asking this! I was just thinking about this today, if there would be "evidence" of a breeding.

*Sits back and waits for answers* :greengrin:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very rarely was I able to witness the deed done. But would go out and check butts. 99% of the time there is evidence of breeding. In hand breeding there will be less as the buck usually only breeds her one to two times. But with pen breeding he can get her a couple times.

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I have a rainbow of personalities of does in heat. I have some who stand up at the buck pen, talk and flag. I have ones who stand in the doe pasture and yell at nothing. I have ones who barely flag but make no noise and do not hang out at the buck pen and then I've got the rare one who does nothing. Last year she got bred because I just so happened to walk the buck on lead into the pasture on lead and he bred her and she didn't move. She then started flagging.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i have a question completely off topic here.. but at what weight/size do you breed your nigerian junior does?

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, I can be pretty sure she got bred? I'll try to take a pic of her pooch, if she'll let me. . . . I don't have anyone to hold her and she loves to be in my face. :)

We breed when they are 40 lbs. - I think she's more than 40 lbs. She is very wide, very wide and level across the rump, so I think she'll do fine. She's almost the same size as our mature does, just a little shorter.

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I had my Nubian bred earlier this month and so I was keeping the buck in a seperate pen from the girls, waiting for my Lamancha doe to come in heat. After we had kept him for two weeks (this was a borrowed, Nubian buck) we were going to haul him off saturday night. So I go down there in the morning to do chores and as usual let Spirit (the lamancha) out to browse. She ran imedaitely over to the buck pen and bawled her head off. As soon as I opened the gate she was in there and they bred twice while I was there. at the end of the day she wanted out as badly as she had wanted in.:slapfloor: lol. But I did notice with both these does that they were extra red around the vulva lips after br eeding. hope that helps.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, she did look a little red and puffy around there yesterday. She was also very quiet and just wanted me to pet her, give her lots of attention. For some reason, when some of my does are bred, they want lots of attention from me, especially first-timers. Must be traumatic or something. . . . :shrug:

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Look at her tail tomorrow-If it is dirty looking and the hair is matted- Then she got got-thats how we tell if we dont see it happen -95% of the time-it's right :thumb:

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would seperate them the rest of the day then put your buck back in there tomorrow and he should go at it again if she's still in season. Then tomorrow I would be almost posistive she's bred. But it sounds very likely that today she was bred. Congrats! You should have some cute babies come February!!

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, she was bred yesterday and I checked her tail today, not matted but she has dried crusty stuff on her vulva. . . . Royal Blue has been separated from her since yesterday and she's not hanging around his pen.

12. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I think you should be looking for kids around valentines day!! Wouldn't that be wonderful!!! Lets see-names-Heart..... valentine......candy.....Kisses........................................... :leap:

13. Candy

Candy New Member

I vote for Candy :ROFL:
    Candy

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That was cute Candy. :D

I sure hope she is bred. . . . I want some milk! And cute babies of course! :wink: Now, I'm just waiting for Lyla to come in heat. . . . come on Lyla! These girls are the only ones who will really stand for me messing w/ their teats, they actually like it, so I'm sure they'll be willing milkers. :)