Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by KLSpoultry, May 13, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I just recently got a pygmy buck to breed my pygmy girls. I got him on the 20th of April and put him in with the girls. I left him in their pen till the 26th of April and then put him in the boys pen. I never saw him mount the girls, but both parties were very interested in each other and were often found cuddling. On Monday (May 11th) I put him in the pen again. He seemed very interested in the girls, who stood and let him sniff, but would not let him mount.

My question is: what do I do now? do i keep putting him in the pen to see if he mounts? or do i consider the girls bred and just wait for kids?

also, is my technique all wrong? how do you all breed your girls?
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I put the buck in with the girls... for at least 3 cyles.....when you put them in for a week and then pull them out..... it may be that ......the girls are just coming into heat ... maybe...standing heat came on .....just after he was removed from the pen....if you leave him in there... for 3 months the odds are better.... to get the girls preggo.....good luck... :wink: :greengrin:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I know my does and their individual signs of heat, I then take the buck of my choosing on a lead to that particular doe and they do the deed.
  4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Last year when I brought home Buckly, Hope went into full blown very obvious heat (the only one I've ever seen from my goats :doh: ) so I let him in with her and watched for a while.

The other doe Cowbell, was bred when Buckly got in with her for one night, the hussy.

At the end of the year around, when I will actually be trying to get the rest of the does bred, I'll be putting them one at a time with Buckly, probably for about a week or so, and watching very closely for breeding or signs of breeding, and rotate them until I'm sure everyone's been bred.

We'll see if it works :greengrin:
  5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Are pygmy goats seasonal breeders? I thought they were but I could be totally wrong.
  6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    no they are year round.

I have left a buck in for a whole month or I hand breed. Both systems work - but hand breeding is easiest come kidding time.

You seem to be doing it about right if you are unable to tell if they are in heat or not.
  7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Pygmies are all year breeders.
    I leave mine in from 3 1/2 - 4 weeks. Because if the doe isn't caught on the first cycle, surely she will be on the second.