breeding question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Sep 6, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i've been breeding goats for 4 years and have noticed just this year, the goop.

i have a group of 4 does being bred by a buck, and theyre all in heat and will be together for three days, I noticed that three of the does have a milky colored goop, in the fourth its clear...any thoughts?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With my 5 does, when in heat, 2 will have a sticky clear discharge while the other 3 have a whitish color.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so would they still have that if they were newly impregnanted? they all came into heat when the buck was brought in, and no less than 3-4 hours later theyre all leaking goop, theres only one doe that he's still persistent with, and she's in standing heat but it doesnt look like hes got her quite yet.

someone else thought it was semen leaking out or something like that... :?

so weird I havent noticed this before..

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    See, I have noticed the goop on my girls heats months before they are with the buck...and once with the buck, the pooch is all poofy and red looking with a bit more goop....but then again, I hand breed my does with the bucks on leashes so I guess it would be easier to notice as I definately know he covered the doe :shrug:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    went out to feed again tonight, saw him and rose...he mounted and right afterwards she hunched over and walked a few feet, which I hear is a sure sign that he 'got' her. while she was hunched over, a long milky white string of goop came out onto the ground...umm not sure if thats a good sign or not. :? :?

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    My girls are all different. Sometimes clear, sometimes thick white goo & after the deed super goo & messy tails. And the hunchy crunchy steps.
    Id like to know the answer to your last q too, but I imagine theres plenty sperm so that whatever we do see is just the tip of the iceberg?

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah we'll see who responds in the morning. it must be late down there, not many are on. I'm planning on doing preg testing next month hopefully so we'll know for sure who is and who isnt, I'm breeding 10 does this year so I cant possibly keep track of them all, so I'm using the kidding chart by Fias Co.

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Its funny about the time zones I fogot about that. Its so strange to look at the times people post as its not really almost 5am it be 11pm.
    :wave:

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've always noticed some white discharge on my does after being bred too. Semen usually. It cakes over some and eventually disappears but it takes several days.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh ok. glad to know I was getting worried that they werent being bred properly.

11. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    If the buck breeds several does in a short period of time the semen will thin out and look clear but that does not mean that the sperm count is any less.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ...with the others....... :wink: :greengrin:

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Seeing semen come out after the doe is bred is pretty commen.
    beth

14. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    I'm pretty sure that every animal involved has done their appointed tasks acccording to the plans and that you can expect kids on the ground some time in February so tune up the old snow blower in anticipation of clearing a path to the barn. Congratulations Katrina and give the goaties a cookie! :clap: