Breeding question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Itchysmom, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Around here evewryone seems to breed in Nov for late March early April babies. Is it OK to breed later so she kids in like May? She is a Saanen and some people say they come into season from Nov to March, some say all year. So, I am a bit confused, but would like to breed her to kid out in Mayish or later when the weather is warmer.

Any pro or cons to this idea? Will the buck breed at any time of year? he is a Saanen too.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use to breed so that they would kid in June so yah you can breed for whenever you like as long as she is still in season. She should be cycling till at least January.

3. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks, that is what I was hoping! I guess the bucks breed whenever a doe is receptive?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    usually -- but if they are out of rutt its less likely.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    yeah my bucks tend to lose their horniness when the does stop coming in heat....i have a hard time sometimes getting my bucks to breed late cyclers like kids.

And dairy breeds come in season september-january ;)

6. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    So, I should ask the guy who has the buck if January is too late for him? I know he loans him out alot, so if I ask to be last on his list that may work. December would be the earliest I would want to breed I think.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah you can do that

chart their heats starting in September so that you know when they should be cycling

8. countrymom

countrymom New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    versailles, MO
    I have another breeding question. I purchased a doe that kidded in Feb/mar.
    I am drying her off because she isn't producing much milk. I would like to breed her to my buck for a fall baby. However I don't want to if it would be too hard on her. What is your opininon. She seems to be a healthy doe. I would like to see a little more weight on her but we are working on that. She just seems to be naturally a more refined doe.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if you want to breed her for a fall kidding you can -- but then I dont recommend you breed her until spring 2011 again. Don't breed her in the fall after kidding for a spring 2011 kidding.

10. countrymom

countrymom New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    versailles, MO
    Right I understand that. Most likely I'll have a couple of does that I will keep on a fall schedule just so I can have a few kids in the fall and the spring. Thank you