Breeding question.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Riot_My_Love, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Hi everyone, long time no talk. :greengrin:

Riot is HUGE and going on two years old! (about 5 months away!) He's probably going on 175ibs. He's a lot bigger than me, lol!

My doeling is (Dee) is growing nicely also. She has some trust issues, and is very independent. We're working on that. She will be a year old in about 4 months.

I'm hoping at the very end of this month to put her in with Riot. She weighs about 70 pounds now. Will she be able to handle Riot?

He's also very rough (he got out one day & chased her, trying to mount) - should I try and get him to breed another doe, since he has never bred before? Just so he won't tear the lil girl up.

I want Spring kids, and can't buy another doe at them moment.

I'd like to hear everyone's input :]
    Thanks! I'll post pics when I get new ones!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Were you wanting to wait until she was a full year old to have her bred?

If she's 70lbs now, I'd think that in the next few months she'll put on a few more pounds and be a good size for breeding.
    Regardless of wether it's Riot's first breeding or not...a buck in rutt that has access to any doe will be a pest until she stands for him. If you want to avoid having him stress her by the chase, watch her heat signs for the next few cycles and when she's ready to stand you can have Riot tied to a fence post waiting for her...no chasing and when the deed is done you can remove her without him trying to follow.

I "hand breed" my does similar to this though I have my chosen buck on a leash, my mini boys are at 60 pounds so are a bit easier to handle than a boy Riot's size would be :wink: I take the buck to the doe I want them to breed, if she's in standing heat she's very receptive to his attentions, if not then he goes back to the buck pen and we try again in a few hours or the next day.

3. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I do this also, it has the great benefit that you know exactly when they were bred, so there is no guessing about when they are due.

Jan

4. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

I won't have time for hand breeding, I will have to put her in with him for a month or two.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you say you wont have time -- I am curious how hand breeding would be an issue?

6. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

I'm not always at my farm. I live about 12 miles away from where I keep my animals. I go to school + not always at my mom's (I'm a minor). If she goes into heat while I'm not there, and she's "ready" for Ri, I'll miss my opportunity.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that can prove things difficult -- But if he injures her in attempts to breed her then that would be bad.

you can try them out in an area together when you can be there to supervise.