The Goat Spot Forum banner

Breeding question

733 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  janeen128 
#1 ·
Okay, I know you are not supposed to breed relatives in general but are half siblings too close? My buckling that I purchased a couple weeks ago also has a half sister, same father different mother up for sale, I am wanting to purchase her, but only if I can breed her. He is pure oberhasli, and she is oberhasli, saanan(?) and alpine mix. What do you think?

#2 ·
Typically you do not breed relatives unless they are distant. Some breeders will breed "cousins" or they will sometimes breed siblings IF the genetics are superior in purebred goats. I personally would not breed any type of sibling to sibling. Any breeder I have ever talked to would not either. There really isn't a strait answer. It really depends on who you talk to.

#5 ·
Actually, people breed relatives much closer than that all the time. Goats have been bred to their littermates, mothers, fathers, half-sibling, with no complications. It is a lot more common than you would expect, most show goat breeders(at least from what I've seen of dairy breeders) tend to inbreed. The only problem with this is that all traits are enhanced, the good and bad ones. So if your goat has a horrible topline, and you breed him to his sister, it's kid will have a horrible topline. There's a saying that it's linebreeding if the kids turn out good, and it's inbreeding if they turn out bad! Lol, you will be able to breed them no problem :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.