The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is thinking ahead, but since I've got my hay in for the winter already, I guess that is why I'm thinking about it.

My girls and boys are all separated right now, 2 out of the 4 does will kid this month or early next month. I have 2 kinder does that will need to be bred to my kinder buck, and 2 Nubian/Lamancha does (and possibly an oberhasli doe) to be bred by my oberhasli buckling (that will be old enough to breed when the time comes) Last season I just let them run all together, well obviously I didn't have any due dates, so that isn't good. I would like everyone to be in the barn for winter, separate pens etc... But out in different pastures during the day. I am planning on marking the bucks each day with a paint stick and putting my kinder does with the kinder buck, and then doing the same for the oberhasli buck... separate fields... mark the date on the calendar, and wait a month to see if they come back in heat. After everyone is bred I'll keep everyone together... OR keep my bucks in the pen that they are in and try to figure out when my does go into heat... I'm sure my kinders there won't be a problem, but my big girls are silent about their heat cycle. Which option would you choose?

By the way Happy 4th of July everyone!!!

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I personally prefer to hand breed when possible. You could always do daily behavior testing until a breeding happens with your girls that have a silent heat.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally prefer to hand breed when possible. You could always do daily behavior testing until a breeding happens with your girls that have a silent heat.
Do you just use a buck rag, and see how they act? They are about 300 ft or so apart, so if they start wagging their tail and crying take them to the buck? I've never done this before... Thanks:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to leash breed. It's pretty easy to tell with most does when they're in standing heat.
Leash breed? How does that work? Get a buck rag going, and I see tail wagging and crying then lead them to the buck, or vice versa? I've never done this before.

·
2,203 Posts
I personally take the buck to her. We call it in-hand. Holding them to ensure the job is done properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts