The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what weight do ya'll breed your doelings? Or do you go by age? I started a thread yesterday asking if my doelings were growing well and it seems that they are and now I'm wondering how YA'll decide when to breed your doelings?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be my first year breeding. I'm going by weight and age as suggested by my mentors.

Angora's 60lbs and at least a year.
My milk/angora mix - over 60lbs.
My grades - 80lbs (no age restraint)
Thanks Amy.......are your grades full size goats?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Seems like at least 80 lbs and 8 months seems to be what people do. I would make sure they are healthy and up to date on shots. I like to see that they no longer have a baby looking face.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm definitely breeding my doelings this fall then.....they'll both be ready!:D

·
Registered
818 Posts
We prefer to keep dry yearlings. I don't worry about them so much when they kid as a 2 year old, because I know their body can handle it. The does that are bred their first fall still look so immature in the show ring. My Heidi still looked like a baby until she turned 1.5. I honestly don't know if she could have handled kidding so young. Oreo is almost 4 months old, but she is barely 50 pounds, she is still a kid! I like to let them have their youth before I demand so much from their growing bodies and minds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts