The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the does still bawl as if still in heat once the deed is done? If everything went well today then I will have 2 does due in January... I wanted to wait but I'm finding out very quickly that electric fence is no match for a doe in heat and a buck in rut.... Geez, kids.... take a cool shower it's not the end of the world... One girl is still bawling, but it might be because her sister is a pen ready to kid, and she gets freaked out if she's not in sight. She's in the barn now in the pen next to her sister... She's calming down now...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I wanted to wait but I'm finding out very quickly that electric fence is no match for a doe in heat and a buck in rut....
:lol: I'm not entirely sure that a solid concrete fence that is 8' high and 4" thick can keep a determined buck away from his girls. :rolleyes: To answer your question - it just depends on the doe. Heat continues past the act of breeding and the more vocal does can continue to be more vocal until their hormones straighten out again. Of course, taking away a does sister can also easily cause them to have a hissy fit! :laugh:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Your box might not be hot enough. I had a horse that likes the electricity though... she'd lean into it, you could see her tail fuzz up, then she'd lean back off it, and repeat for a while.
What brand is your hot box? I like the Red Snapper ones (I had a REALLY hot one from that company, I don't reccomend the exact same one I had for goats though....)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a MAX, I think... It's hot... It's low impedance though:( I put my dogs (invisible) fence collar on the buckling that always seems to get out, as the dog fence borders the buck pen... It's working so far....:) Its roughly a half acre pen, maybe a bit larger then that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts