The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I realize only time will tell, but just wanted some opinions. Last month 8/7 my Nubian/Lamancha doe and one of my kinder does were bawling up a storm. My other kinder doe was in the barn and gave birth that evening. I thought the other 2 might be bawling up a storm because they were in heat. So I put the kinder buck with my kinder doe and the oberhasli buck with the Nubian/Lamancha... Both stood for these "breedings" a few times actually that I saw. I just kept them together for a few hours after I witness this to get back to the other doe in Labor.. Neither of them have come back into heat that I can tell. I had the bucks running with my does last week because of my ober buckling delinquent got out of the fence so I had to fix their pen. It would have been in the time frame that they were to go back in heat. Neither of them stood for the buck during this period... Could they already be bred? My Nubian/Lamancha doe had a severe copper deficiency last year, and well I do have that under control now. Would a Nubian/Lamancha come into heat in August? It was still pretty warm outside etc... The weather wouldn't affect my kinders, but I wasn't sure about the big girl... Opinions?? This would be good news if they did take. I didn't really want to have babies in January, but I think it will be okay.

·
Super Moderator
59,768 Posts
Since you just ran the buck with the girls, you could have just missed seeing breedings happen. But time will tell. I would be sure to write down both dates.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you just ran the buck with the girls, you could have just missed seeing breedings happen. But time will tell. I would be sure to write down both dates.
I did. I observed them a lot last week, unfortunately I'm unemployed at the moment and I never saw anyone standing for anyone, and the girls and the boys were separated at night, so nothing could have happened then. As soon as I let everyone out of the barn it was like let the chasing begin... Eventually they all calmed down to graze and rest though..... I still felt bad for the does. I just thought it was strange a Nubian/Lamancha doe going in heat at the beginning of August?

·
I'm watching you
22,542 Posts
One of my Alpine/Nubians will breed in July if I let her. Last year she had triplets in April and twins in November. (oops) I now know who opens the gate latches though :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it's been over a month you can always send into Biotracking to check for sure.
Actually I contacted my friend that helps with testing, she'll come sometime in the next few weeks. She's been busy getting my bucks dates tested for disease, Charlie now had 3 and Snoopy has 4 lined up so far... That way once all the Selenium/vit e gel and the other stuff comes hopefully by next week, I'll see if anyone goes into heat... If not then we will test.... Here's hoping:) Can't wait....:) hehe:)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah, they can. My first year with goats all my does kidded the first week of january, so had to be bred early august. It was really cold that year. I don't breed until mid to late september at the earliest now, actually prefer to wait until october.

Granted that first year i had mixed breed does, of assorted mixes, not specifically Nubians, but my mini Nubian starts tail wagging in early august and my doeling that was born this spring was tail wagging mid-august.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts