The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put my 3 does with my buck, they are begging to get out....they have been with the buck there for a week, the first 2 days the girls seem receptive but now they want out and away from him, should I remove them or let them stay for another week?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
You can let them stay with him for a while. They go through multiple heat cycles. Sounds like they are out of heat now. But in case you can’t catch when they go back into heat, leave the buck with them a while longer.

Or if you have adjoining fences, you’ll be able to tell when they are interested in each other again (i.e. heat).

·
Registered
660 Posts
I always take my does away from the buck. I have had instances where the buck has gotten aggressive because of rut and injury is not worth it

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have put my 3 does with my buck, they are begging to get out....they have been with the buck there for a week, the first 2 days the girls seem receptive but now they want out and away from him, should I remove them or let them stay for another week?
When I bred my does, I let them stay with the buck for 3-4 months. My bucks were very gentle and the does loved it. It was more natural for them and eliminated any aggressive behavior.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
As you can see people do things differently lol personally I leave mine together for 3 months. But others will only let the girls be serviced a handful of times when in heat and then pull them out. So it really depends on what works for you. If you are able to catch the girls in heat, if they do come back into heat, then you can pull them out and just keep a eye on things and put them back in if they come into heat. If this is a pain for you, or you think you won’t be able to catch them in heat then just leave them in longer. A doe SHOULD come into heat every 28 days, IMO 30 days to be on the safe side ;)

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
If the buck is being aggressive, I would remove him, especially if all have been serviced.

I agree, it isn't worth leaving the buck in with the does, if he is hitting them in the belly or stressing them by chasing. You will loose babies that way.

I usually leave them together 2 heat cycles. I share a fence line(with a hotline) with the does and if any come back in for any reason, I can pull a buck and breed them.
I also can keep the bucks off the fence line, in another area, when I know they have settled.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My buck is permanently with the does. If he becomes pesky they simply avoid him.
This is my management also. Now mind, my boys are friendly and never bully. I've seen them try to be a bit bolshy but the girls pretty much correct them straight off. My boys are raised in the herd though so we're very stable.

It's unclear if the OP's buck is actually being aggressive in any way, or are the girls just a bit shy?

If he was being a bully (aggression, rearing, butting, any aggressive bustling or butting in the belly particularly, attempts to pin and ram against fences etc) I'd definitely take them out, but keep them on the other side of the fence until she cycles.

If however he's just being 'intensively amorous', following or blubbering over them and trying to mount when she's not on heat, this is normal if he's new to them! They're still exciting and new ... as long as they have room to range and get out of immediate 'social sight' ... it's the best thing to leave them together but only IF No-one is being Hurt.

This will enable them to accustom to each other (and his initial aggressive ardour wear off) before next time she comes on heat ... if he's not hurting them, let him date them first maybe the girls will lose their fear of him before the big day.

If he's constantly hassling too much for them and they're stressed, take them out but leave them only one fence away.

Give them time they'll become family ... but by golly when a buck is first introduced into a herd of girls like that they'll chase them incessantly.

My reason for leaving (my main) buck with the herd all the time is to prevent the aggression and excessive behaviour on first contact meetings you get leaving the buck separate and introducing ladies on heat only.

I remove doelings or does I want to breed later in the year from the herd for selected times instead ... seasonality is very reliable here, I know I'm good til january, and clear again by august. Doe kids are weaned at the end of January, ie taken out of the herd ... and return to family life in spring, becoming used to the boy out of rut by next breeding season.

This is just what works for me, Your buck may in fact be too aggressive to follow the same system ... but that hasn't actually been said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts