Breeding questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Realfoodmama, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have two quick questions about breeding.

First - is it possible to breed does in the spring? I was under the impression that they only go into heat in the fall, but my Nubian seems to be exhibiting some signs. Maybe its because of my two unaltered male kids, I don't know. In either case, if possible I'd like to breed her next month so as to have fall kids.

Secondly - how old do bucks have to be in order to breed? This is mostly for curiosities sake...my two little guys are seriously perverted. :eek:hlala: They go after anything that moves and they're only a month old!

2. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    In order to be "successful", the little guys need to be at least 7-8 weeks old; but, this varies on the individual goat.

As for them be "seriously perverted", I think that is just the "nature of the beast". LOL My little guy is only 8 days old and he is already practicing his moves with his sister!

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    When he can extend it wont be pretend.

4. With you doe, unless a seasonal doe breeding will be fine. However, it comes to when she cycles not when you want it to happen. Now keep in mind most does will come in cycle every 18-21 days.

As for the bucks, the soonest I have heard a buck breeding is two months but that was an extreme case and it normally happens when you don't want it to at that age.

As for the behavior, does and bucks will do this at this age. This is a dominance thing. My young buck are doing it to one another and sibling and the girls are doing it back. This is normal.

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    My bucklings this season were extending at 5 weeks of age..... this means that they were capable of impregnating does at 5 weeks of age. :) A doeling can conceive at 12 weeks of age..... :)

I had a silky buckling this year that was born, still being dried off by his mom and I and turned around, stuck his little tongue out and started courting his sister! LOL He was maybe, MAYBE 20 minutes old!!!! LMBO!

6. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Are seasonal does typically breed specific? This is a papered Nubian doe who I have never tried to freshen. I suppose I could just give it a shot and see if it takes!

7. Well, from what I have exsperianced seasonal does kid about the same time yearly which is from Feb-March to April-May. Which means they breed late fall through the winder months. Hope that helps.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Seasonal does are typically the Toggenberg, Saanen and Alpines....Since Nubians originated in the tropics they may breed year round, depends on the doe. Try and see, worst that would happen is she won;t give you kids in the Fall.

9. Good point Liz. I have only had two and one was a Kiko cross and one was a boer cross. They can be with a buck all year round and it never fails they will kid the some time onece a year. So that is that. If the doe does not want to take or is not ready it will not happen.