breeding questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ohiogoatgirl, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i'm about to get some angora goats and i was wondering
    *when i breed them should i be doing anything different then i do with my dairy goats
    *what feed do i get for te angoras? goat feed with extra minerals or sheep feed and lamb feed with coccostait (spelling?) to prevent (cocco---???)
    and about goats in general
    *does anyone add apple cider vinegar to there goats feed or water

thanks!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm sure that Fiber breeds will have slightly different nutritional needs than what a meat or dairy breed would have BUT IMO, a goat is a goat and all have the same requirements as far as feed/nutrition during pregnancy and lactation.
    I personally would not feed a grain labled for sheep/goats, no copper in it. As far as a medicated feed for cocci prevention, there are goat feeds available with added deccox, Blue Seal meat goat grower is one as well as Purina Noble Goat medicated.

Do the same management for them as for your dairy girls, if cocci is an issue when kids arrive, individual treatment is best because you just don't know if the concentration of deccox in the feed is adequate or even if those kids are eating enough of it to do any good. Taking the time to do individual dosing for prevention in kids may seem a daunting task but in the long run it is well worth it.

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    how much is that type of feed? i really don't want to be spending a fortune on special feed if i don't need it you know.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    TSC carries Blue Seal as well as Purina...at least the ones here do. What are you feeding your dairy goats? If you want to feed a medicated feed, the Blue Seal runs @ $13 per 50#

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i feed my dairy 18% protien goat feed. the brand is "bob white" it's $9.50 per 50 lb bag where i buy it. i think i'll look at tractor supply by me to see what they got.