The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
Three out of my 4 junior does got pregnant by surprise. Luckily they were all old enough and kidded just fine, but I wanted to wait til this year. Anyway...I want to make sure they get bred on purpose to kid in Jan/Feb for show season. My problem is that I can never tell when they are in heat! How do ya'll keep track of who's in heat? Do you check everyone daily? Two of them kidded in March and one in July (she won't be bred this year because it's too soon after kidding, and I want to get her back on schedule to kid in the spring instead of the summer)...and our shows are in Feb-Apr mostly. Anyway...some tips on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
I also got a new buckling who was born in February. Do ya'll think he'll be ready to breed in August? I wanted to use him on at least one doe because she's nice, but my mature buck is her son, so I can't breed her to him. I do have a friend with multiple bucks I could breed her to, but since I can't figure out how to tell if they're in heat, getting her over there at the right time is going to be difficult.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
As my Dad used to say "bucks are born ready", which is pretty close because our bucks are ready to breed around 8 weeks which is why we castrate them then, so your buck is plenty old enough. as far as detecting heat, your does will have a discharge usually clear. If you have more than one goat in a pen the doe in heat will stand for the other doe, wether, or buck. does will also "flag" the bucks with their tails especially if the buck is in an adjoining pen. your buck will be start to smell from coming into rut. if you want them to kid in jan/feb you better start watching!! if you dont have the time to spend watching maybe your best bet would be to put the doe with the buck for the next three to four weeks and let them figure it out!!.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
If they don't show signs, you may have to test them daily. Meaning to have an area that you can put the buck and doe and see if the buck is interested in breeding and/or if the doe is receptive. You may have to do that for a good 21 days to go through the whole heat cycle.

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was afraid of that KSal. My oldest doe (4) has shown signs, but my only mature buck is her son (I bought her later) and I wasn't ready to breed her yet anyway. I haven't noticed any of my others act like they were in heat. They don't ride each other or anything. I did recently notice one of my does doing the lip thing that bucks do. I don't know if that's a sign of heat or not. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time outside with them this month since I need to get them bred in August to kid in January. This is so much easier when they figure it out themselves lol, but I need to know due dates. Thanks ya'll. I'll get it figured out.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You could just pen breed em all. If that doesnt work, make a buck rag. Take an old rag and find a nasty stinky buck in rut and rub that rag all over the back of his front legs. Moisten the rag first. Put the rag in a coffee can with the lid on it. Then everyday, say at feeding time, open that can and let the girls have a smell of it. If anyone starts to flag their tail and becomes very interested in the can, you can bet she is in heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts