The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the pros and cons of AI in goats. I only have two does, no bucks on my property. I found a buck on a semen website I really like that sells straws for $100 each I believe. But how do I store the semen, do I take them to the vet to have them AI? I am in Houston, Yexas. We are going to breed Sept 2014

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
You have to have the semen shipped in a nitrogen tank and stored in it until ready to use. You also have to have a vet or person who knows how to properly AI service the doe.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
Pros would be you can pretty much AI your does to any buck you want to! I think that is SO fun! It's a really fast way to improve your herd. AND you wouldn't *need* a buck at your house. Having a buck is still a good way to catch you doe in the right stage of heat though.

Cons would be it can be expensive, and is not a guaranteed pregnancy. It is obviously much more challenging than natural breeding and for me, it's a little stressful/nerve-wracking. That's just me though. :) There are so many little things that have to go right to make AI a success!

We will be having 4 of our does AI-ed next year. Our semen is being stored at a friends house, and she will be doing the AI-s for us. There is not a vet here local who does goat AI.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay it's definitely something we are thinking about. I am thinking my girls are in heat now. They are making barking noises and stick their tongues out and follow me everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts