The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time ever breeding does on my own. :) Right now I have two 6 year old boer does in with a 10 month old boer buck. When i first got him he was VERY "Bucky" and he was only a few months old and it was in may. But now he's not interested at all? They have been together since we got him and the does weaned their old kids in march. Is it just because he is young?

Then i have two other mixed breed does, one is a year old and this will be her first time kidding and another is 2 and this will be her 2nd time kidding. They have been in with him too and still no pregnancies. I have the choice of sending these two to a friends to stay with their older mixed breed buck until they are bred, which with experience from this way it only takes them being gone a month or 2 at the most. The thing is i would love to breed them with my buck but if there is a small chance that they will kid before June next year (when i aim for births :) ) then i would be fine with sending them off.

That was really confusing when i was rereading it but my brains not working with me right now lol. The boer does are staying with my buck kids or no kids but the other two are my problem. Sorry if its hard to understand... What would yall do in this case? Chance it with a nice buck? Or have a definite pregnancy with a decent buck?

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But they don't have baby bumps and their udders aren't filling? Im not sure if it matters but he didn't show interest in all of the does when we first got him either, he only had 1 or 2 does he "liked" and would ignore the rest. I think then he was too young to do anything but we ended up having to sell his girls this summer when i had to cut back some. I just thought they were the only ones in heat at the time but its been almost 8 months and still no signs of pregnancy or interest? He has been at the bottom of the herd for a while and is always the one getting bullied and is just now getting brave enough to start fighting back. Im just confused?

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They just don't like him very much I guess, maybe he's just a little scared of them. Good thing is he's catching up with them in size, he's not quite as big as them so maybe he will get a little tougher as he gets older because he acts like a big baby now haha.

Thank you! Keeping Bucks is so much different than keeping does, but I'm learning. :D

· Super Moderator
17,005 Posts
I start using my bucks very young as well. I remember my first breeding my old lady wouldn't let him breed for a few months but now that your guy is older and now bigger he should have done the job. Now for your young ladies is this breeding going to cost you??? If so and very very little money I would take them over to the other buck. My guess is they should be bred but if you want them for sure bred before a kidding date of June then you need to take them over now. As for baby bumps and such most of my girls are.coming on 3 months bred and only my ff are.getting a little swelling to their bags so you can't really go off baby bumps and bags till the last month or so. You could take pictures of pooches and put on here to see what all everyone says about breeding but again if your worried and you have a free breeding to a for sure buck take it ;)

· Administrator
96,238 Posts
Bucks need to be removed from the Does.
That is why, when I breed, I only leave the bucks in with the Does for 2 heat cycles or 2 months, that's it. Then, the bucks are removed.
Bucks, if in 24/7 with the Does, day after day, month after month, they can get bored with them and be turned off.
When breeding season is here, put him with the Does, it will be something new, exciting and he will ask them if they are ready.
Or, walk the buck up to the fence and see if any Does respond, flag and pee wanting the buck, if she does, put the Doe and that buck together one on one, with no others around, he should get the job done. When a Doe is in standing heat, she will allow the youngster to mount her.

A smelly goat rag from the older buck may help too.

Really young bucks at a certain point,the Doe's won't allow him near them and take him seriously and will butt him away, some Doe's may hit him so hard, he will want to just leave the Does alone, be afraid of them. Separation and the newness of re-introducing them will help, even if it is one on one.
Now, I can't say he didn't breed, but, I wouldn't be surprise, I had a 4 month old, do 24 mature Does and all took.
Depending on when or if the Does allowed him to breed them, it may be later, they conceived.

Can you get pics of their pooches?

When was the last time you seen a Doe in season?

If the older buck stinks, test the Does, on the opposite side of the fence and see. He will have more of a bucky smell that Does love.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have two 7 mo old nubian bucks and live in fl where it is warm all year. When should I breed them? and can I breed them with pygmy goats or are they too small? I dont want the nubian babies to be too large for the does during birth. Thanks

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have two 7 mo old nubian bucks and live in fl where it is warm all year. When should I breed them? and can I breed them with pygmy goats or are they too small? I dont want the nubian babies to be too large for the does during birth. Thanks
If i were you i wouldn't breed them to pygmys, Nubians get pretty big and you probably would have birthing complications.

I haven't seen you on here before, welcome! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.