The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it one day it seems no one is even thinking of coming into heat then bang! Over night it hits. In the last 3 days 9 does have come into heat. Good thing I have 3 bucks now because I even had to throw 2 in with my 6 Month old buck.
I took my daughter who is 4 out with me yesterday to see who all has been bred. After Gizmo peed all over him self then jumped on the fence and peed on starchy the other buck she no longer thinks much of him lol. The boys were blubbering and even the wethers and sucking buckling were fussing around. My daughter turned to me and said 'mom these boys are crazy' needless to say I have been sleeping with a pillow over my head!!!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG that is a understatement!!!! Its so crazy here right now and Gizmo was my bottle baby and wants me to touch him....yuck!!! This morning I told him I would pet his back no other part. I even bought 2 more breeding harnesses so I don't have to keep adjusting this one to fit the other 2 boys.......lol they are such gross animals

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I wish mine would do that... My bucks are just very faintly stinky, I can still pet them all and none of my does have cycled yet :( Last year I already had several does who had cycled by now, but not this year. I think the late spring must have messed them up, made them think that fall was farther off than it is.

Hopefully all of your girls will settle on the first try :) You'll have to keep reminding your 4 year old what she said today about "boys" when she is older lol

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish mine would do that... My bucks are just very faintly stinky, I can still pet them all and none of my does have cycled yet :( Last year I already had several does who had cycled by now, but not this year. I think the late spring must have messed them up, made them think that fall was farther off than it is.

Hopefully all of your girls will settle on the first try :) You'll have to keep reminding your 4 year old what she said today about "boys" when she is older lol
Fall is hitting early here so I don't know if that's what's going on or the fact I swapped bucks out and gave them the older buck. It was kinda sad the first day both of the older bucks had a doe and one of the doelings that I want bred was just standing there flagging anything that walked by. So she went in with the young buck. She wanted something but I don't think she knew what lol.
Pam you are a spring woman!!!! I hate kidding all at once and I hate the cold more but looks like I'm getting both in January lol. I don't know how you guys can do it kidding out all in one month.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I try for spring kids. Winter kidding is too cold.

I hear we have a very cold winter coming. Which is frightening:(
I really think its going to be a harsh one. It was just too mild this last winter. I know in your area it down poured but here we didn't get much frost or rain. We keep getting wind and many of the trees are falling over from that.....just not a normal thing.

But I hope its not too had 13 does in heat today:eek: I kinda hope most don't take or I'll be setting up a nursery in the house lol. I really don't see how 3 bucks can cover them but I have it wrote down so we will see.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
We've had a mild winter the last two years, had a really late strange spring this year though. Normally we have our last frost around the end of March, but this year we had close and below freezing night temps in May... Very strange for this area.

You would be surprised how many does a buck can cover, "they" claim you can have 1 buck per 25 does...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ohh no that means I'm very busy Jan 25 lol.
That is a long time to have frost. It seems usually we have heavy rain during the winter or heavy frost we didn't really get either. We only had I think 10 days of triple digit heat and July/august is mostly triple on a common year. But can't be too happy about that since we had sooooo many thunder storms that caused fires.
There is a big one right now that my brother is on running a dozer and they made a line that was 6 blades wide and the fire went over it like nothing. So they moved him again to the front of it to do a 10 blade line but I figure we will not see him till the snow falls.....November :(

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Wow, yeah, almanac is saying, we are getting a "biting cold" winter, which is going to be harsh.

This is August and it is usually the hottest month of summer of 100+, but, we are getting 80's and low 90's which is bizarre.

Yes, bucks can service one Doe and go directly to the next. Some Does though, may or may not take the first time around. So, you might have a small chance, they will take the next go around. ;) You will see in 18 to 21 days.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Small chance that does not make me fell better lol. But its the girls that are fighting. They want the older smelly boy lol. I have all my papered does penned because I need to know for sure who the daddy is on them in double breeding. But on a good note diamond still has not come back into heat so still looking good for Teflon kids ;)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I have heard if you crack open a persimmon seed the center will either look like a spoon, fork or knife and that can be an indicator of what the winter will be. I can't remember exactly what each stands for, but I think the spoon is for heavy snow and the knife is for cold and ice.

The almanac is usually pretty correct.... Amazing how they can predict the next years' weather over a year in advance.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
We heard the same warning here in east Tennessee, "if you trust the farmers almanac, get ready for a brutal winter". I think I speak on behalf of all livestock producers in southeast Tennessee when I say........bring it!
We have not had a winter in 4 years. We need some cold temps and snow. The parasite problems have gotten to epidemic proportions. The goats and chickens will be fine. I look forward to it. My Saanen x Kiko x Boer kids are always born on the coldest day of the year, the colder the better.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm gonna try the persimmon thing. I think those tests are cool to try out. Like there's a saying here for the month of march if it comes in like a lion its out like a lamb and vise versa....meaning it its crazy weather to start the month off with its mild at the end. So far I have found that to be true and just find it neat.

I really do hate the cold lol and here another whether saying lol is that you either have a cold dry winter or a wet warm winter. Having not even half the normal rain fall here the last few years I pray for rain. At one time we only needed to feed hay during the winter and summer I know this year we only got a few months off of feeding hay. That's the biggest reason for me slowly selling off my commercial herd and only keeping reg. Stock. I hope to only have half the goats but still bring the same income in.....we will see :(

·
1,524 Posts
My girls haven't started cycling yet, but boy, my buck sure is. He was a bottle kid who loves for me to pat him and kiss his nose. Last week the smell started. I still didn't have the peeing issue, until this morning. He put his little cute nose up for his morning kiss and, wow, drippy, pee soaked yucky little nose. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No kisses until this is over. His neck had widened over night, i swear! He flirts with the girls who are tied on a picket line outside his stall, but poor guy gets shot down-no one is in heat yet. I have been telling the girls that they are not going to be bred until late October, so nto to even bother starting yet. I guess, for once, they are listening.

I have also started putting in my doe/buck order for this season. Last year I told them I wanted mostly bucks because I didn't want the temptation of keeping all the girls. They all followed my plan! I had 15 bucks and 4 does. Now, I want the opposite because i want to sell all the kids this coming season and use the money to buy 1 purebred, show quality doe and buckling to improve my herd.

Lets see if they do as well this season as they did last!

·
1,524 Posts
Well, I for one want a mild winter. My furnace is broken and I had to live in a frigid house all last year and am not looking forward to it again this year. I'll have to shut off the water unless I am using it, which means going down a set of unsafe steps. Nope, I am praying for a mild winter. Like many people up here with no money for heat, we NEED a mild winter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts