Breeding season is here!!! Woohoo!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by myfainters, Jul 21, 2010.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yay breeding season has commenced! Here are our breeding pairs so far..... ugh.... now why does December have to be sooooooooooooooo far away???? :GAAH: :ROFL:

http://faintheartedranch.net/index.php? ... g_Schedule

I really have lost it..... 5 months to go and I'm already counting down! :help:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Lol...it's ok...I am the same way! I am dreaming of all those new kids the day I breed the doe. lol I LOVE breeding season (for me it's not clear until Dec. or Jan.), but I think it is the funnest researching and making that final decision of who goes with who. It's a lot of work, but rewarding in the end! Can't wait til your kids get here!

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i start breeding in mid september. then i get babies around spring break.. i may breed in two sets this year. have january kids and then march kids

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...yes .....breeding season....I know the anticipation.... :cool: :clap: :thumb:

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    2011 I plan to have a new set of kids born every 2-3 weeks from December-April and then from September-December. :)

I really am very excited.... I'm hoping for lots of flash and some moonspots would be great! I sold my moonspotted buck Ryder so he is getting a few does before he goes to his new home after the August show. :)

The funny thing is by December I will be sooooooo excited about my February, March breedings I will hardly be able to control myself! :ROFL: :slapfloor:

Of course the biggest problem is going to be selling any of these kids! I'm actually REALLY excited about almost every breeding we will have this year.... so how do I get the self control to part with the kids??? :laugh:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Now that is really hard to get a hold of ....with beautiful animals ...it does make it ....that much more difficult.... sorry not much help I know... :wink: :thumb: :laugh:

7. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Well, my plans for this year is to breed one of my girls each month starting in October. That way I should get kids March, April, and May. I think that will keep me from having too many kids all at once for my newbieness and should hopefully keep my stress level down. It will also let the older expierenced doe teach me about kidding before I have the ff's learning with me. As far as the actual breeding pairs go I'm super excited about the matches, too. I'm using the same buck on all three, but I think the results will be unique (sp?) on all of the girls. He is a super flashy PB Sable with black, white and tan patches all over. He looks kind of like a full size, super dairy ND, but he is Sable for sure. One of my girls is black w/tan points, one is chocolate w/black points and dorsal stripe, and the last girl is red roan. I can't wait to see what color combos I end up with next year! Anyway, I'm so glad to be surounded by all of you crazy goat people, just like me! Breeding season is here! Woohoo!

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    can't wait for breeding!! I start right when they get home from fair on Sept 7th.

This year I'm using an AWESOME buck! thank you pam ;)
    And a buck from WA state, he's dappled (ehhh...not really into it) but he's nice!

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Breeding season! All five of my Nigerians that I am breeding this month have been covered yay! The two Nubians go after they start showing signs of heat, too hot for them still.

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Woohoo..... this forum is going to be BUSY come Christmas! LOL

11. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I plan to wait till Oct when it cools down some. Then I'm planning to borrow one of my sister's black Nubian bucks. I want to get everyone delivered before it gets hot again. Last year I had the kiddings staggered at least a week a part. Easier on me, since I had time to recover between them, but since I had 3 single doelings it made it a bit hard to take them from their moms and bottle feed without a companion close to their age. I'll have 9 to breed this year. Had 5 last yr.

12. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    We breed in late October or early November for late March-April babies, but only every other year. The last of my babies are going home this week. It's been a tough and very expensive spring. Nearly lost one of my best does, broken legs, horns that refuse to be burned off, flaky buyers. I'll happily listen to my girls holler every 21 days all winter long. I do love kidding time, but am not sorry to be taking a break this year. Anybody want a registered Mini Toggenburg buck? He threw 50/50 boys and girls in his first season this year. Nice babies. All his boys are blue-eyed.

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Now see I kinda feel bad now....I have does due from now until September. Then I will be breeding a few more in October for March babies.

I breed a little early as I supply my neighbor with milk for her bottle babies and I try to have does milking before hers start kidding.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I find it's much easier to rehome kids through the late spring and early summer than it is in the winter...not many out there who are willing to sit in a freezing barn with new baby goat pets...and my kids seem to thrive when born in the colder late winter early spring. I have 3 does who will be bred in October for late February- mid March freshenings, one of which will be a FF so I'll likely have her kid out first so she has my undivided attention as she gets closer...and I pray that 2011 kiddings go better than this years did.

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I definitely second that one Liz! :cheers: To a BETTER kidding season!!!!!!!!!!!

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We have two does with kids who are 2- 2 1/2 weeks old. We have 2 does who are empty. We have 3 does we are getting from a breeder, and were told they are all possibly pregnant. 2 of them we are borrowing, and will send back after kids are weaned <we keep the kids>, and then we will get 2 more does to replace them either from this same breeder, or elsewhere. So if these girls are pregnant they will kid in the next few months or at least before late December.
    If my does come in heat, I will let the buck cover them now, but not next month. I don't want January/Febuary kids if I can help it. I'd rather have kids Sept-early Dec, then March-May. Next year I hope to have close to 10 does to breed in the fall, I can't wait!

17. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    How do you figure out who to breed when?
    Anyone stagger for milk?
    What if your buck isn't in rut?
    Dang.
    LOL