Breeding Sire to Daughter

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mini Goat Lover, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Mini Goat Lover

Mini Goat Lover New Member

May 4, 2011
    Arizona
    I'm planing on keeping one of my buck's daughters this Spring. I don't really want to have to buy another buck though; my family doesn't even like me having just one. I just read an article in the Dwarf Digest about the pros and cons of inbreeding and it seems like it's not a bad thing as long as the animals are good quality.

So I was wondering if anyone has had experience with inbreeding and how the kids turned out.

2. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I've never done it before myself, but I have always heard that if you are going to 'LINE' breed (note-not 'IN'breed) that doing it from daughter to sire or grand daughter to grand sire, and so on is the best way-if and only if you have two animals that have the potential to improve offspring greatly and have been proven. Now other combinations like mother to son or brother to sister is not recommended...maybe yields bad results more of the time. I get it....good luck with your breeding!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is very risky...

I would find a breeder near by... that will breed her....instead of taking that risk....It may be a really good thing or a big mistake and a wasted 5 months waiting... but it is up to you :hug:

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Try to lease a buck or take your doe somewhere else. Id be really nervous doing it that close! Unless you just want pets. But that close of a breeding you need to be really careful!

5. Mini Goat Lover

May 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Thank you for the advice. I think I'm just going to get another buckling next Spring to be on the safe side.

Would there be the same risk with breeding her to her sire's half brother?

6. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Sires Half Brother doesnt sound too close. If they would compliment eachother then ya

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sire to daughter is much to close in my opinion, so i'm glad you'll be looking into getting a new buckling. :thumb:

There wouldn't be much of a risk in breeding her to her sire's half brother, but that still will be inbreeding a little so you'd want to make sure they aren't going to bring out bad traits...it will intensify the good and bad, or one or the other. I usually like to keep my lines wider, but if you really do your research on the genetics there then it could be a very nice cross. You can get duds from line/inbreedings though. So it can go both ways.

8. Mini Goat Lover

May 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Ok, this is the doe I may get a buckling from Sacred Spirit MD Tribble: http://redlotusnigerians.com/FirstFresheners.html I really love her FF udder. And the sire of the buckling would possibly be the sire of my current buck; therefore his half brother.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree..... that it is less risky breeding to ..the half brother...

The one side... that has the same lines.... you have to be absolutely sure ...no genetic defects are there...... :thumb:

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Right now I only have one buck. His only daughter here was bred by him. I'll try to remember to let you know how it went.
    Its not something I would normally do but under the circumstances it was the only choice.

11. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    I have select bred father to daughter and the animals are healthy and beautiful - absolutely no problems and I would not hesitate to do so again with selected pairings.
    The animals used displayed no faults that could be past down and that is the golden rule if the animal does have faults you would not contemplate breeding.
    This line breeding is a tool in establishing lines and pedigrees in animals and has been used by Breeders of all the different types of animals to establish their type and pedigrees for years.

12. Mini Goat Lover

May 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Thank you very much everyone for the information and your experiences :)

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California