The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so really I have a few questions... :rolleyes:
I have a just about 8 month old Alpine buck who we are hoping to have breed our Alpine doe this fall/winter. We also have a 7 month old Alpine/Pygmy cross doeling. 1) I am figuring on waiting to breed this doeling until next year when she is a yearling, assuming it would be to early to breed her at 9/10 months old this fall/winter being half Pygmy, correct? Or is she old enough?
2) Should we find her a different buck? My French Alpine buck is about a month older than her and he is currently 26" tall. She, the Alpine/Pygmy, is about 23" tall. The buck is from slightly smaller stock, not a huge Alpine. Would you breed her to him or find her a smaller buck? Granted they are still growing and I do not know how big either will end up, but they've never been more than 2-3 inches apart. I was planning on trading breedings with a friend who owns a Nigerian Dwarf but my buck is far nicer, I just wondered if it isn't to risky to breed her to him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,224 Posts
IMO any time a small breed is crossed with a standard breed it is risky, I would wait and see how she matures and by that time you should already have kids on the ground and even from standard does you should be able to see just how big his kids are and go from there.

Those who do breed mini alpines, mini Nubians etc tend to not use a standard alpine or Nubian buck but will use a Nigerian or a 3rd or 4th generation mini buck
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top