breeding someone else's doe

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by minibarn, Nov 18, 2010.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    a friend of a friend brought their 4 yr old pygmy doe monday night to stay till she's bred. she's never been bred and hasn't been exposed to a buck before. she seemed to be in heat when she came or wouldn't it be a genuine heat since she hasn't been near a buck before? she got bred at least 4 times successfully, humped her back and all, in the last 2 days. can she go back home now or should she stay to make sure she doesn't have a 5-day heat yet and need to breed again?

2. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

It sounds like it was a pretty successful breeding. If you are able to keep her there for a few more days just to make sure, it won't do any harm. When the owner comes to pick up the doe, you could send the owner home with a buck rag in a ziplock bag & they can pull it out when she would cycle again to see if she comes into another heat.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she isn't allowing the buck to mount her anymore... and running from him.... then yes ...she is fine to go home..... have them bring her back ....in 18 days from when she was last bred by him... test her up to the 22 day.... if she settled... and doesn't come in... then she should be good to go... :thumb: :greengrin:

4. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    so you think her body is ovulating/cycling properly even though this is her first exposure to a buck?

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Young kid doelings... ovulate way before a year old ...at a very young age.... that is why ...we must remove a buck....very early..... from the herd.... Yes she is fertile.... :thumb:

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agreee...the deed was done and theres no reason to think she hasn't been fertile because this was her first buck experience, pygmies and nigerians are fertile as young as 2 months. If you can keep her for another 5-7 days, it would avoid wondering if she'll have a 5 day heat. I would remove her from the buck though as he will continually harass her if she's penned with him.

7. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    great! thanks for your input! she has her own stall and i just let the buck come visit her now & then. i'll watch for a 5-day heat and then send her home. thanks.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.. :thumb: :greengrin:

9. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    ok, what's going on with this doe? owners are coming for her tonight but i have a few questions.
    she did come into heat again 5 days after being bred so we bred her again 2-3 times a week ago. there was a little bleeding with that. now she's wanting to stand for the buck again 1 week later so i let him over. he did it once but she didn't hunch her back after. then he seemed to lose interest. i noticed a little blood again too. so do you think she's bred?
    AND... i found a lump on her neck almost at her shoulder! it's covered with hair (she's very furry) so it's not noticable till you feel down her neck which she doesn't like to be petted. it's sorta firm but movable, not opened yet. if it would turn out to be CL, how much danger is my buck in of getting it? they had separate pens next to each other. also have a couple does in another pen on her other side which they can sniff each other thru the wall and they share a water bucket thru the wall. are they in danger?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm....did you tell the owners of the Doe... that she is acting weird.... and that you are unsure.... if she is bred or not.... because of the frequency... of her heat cycle pasterns....?
    If they want to have a vet look at her and see what they think about her.....and if she needs... to stay with the buck longer..... or what should be done.... :hug:

11. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    is the little bleeding anything to be concerned about?

12. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    the last i told the owners was that she was bred again on her 5 day heat and is ready to be picked up. now i'm not sure. is my herd in danger of CL if she stays an extra week or 2?

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh no... :shocked: ...If it is CL... it can rupture anytime....if it is hit just right... or ready to pop.... I'd be Leary of that goat.... the risk is high at this point....there is a strong possibility ... that it is CL..... and not knowing is scary... ....you won't know... from one day to the next... if it is going to pop.....and if it is indeed the nasty CL.... :(

The bleeding is it bright red or dark?
    Does she have a foul odor... coming from her vulva? If so.. could be an infection....

The blood after being bred may be she might have a small cut or something that bleeds when she is bred..... if it is from a cut then she will be OK.....

14. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    YIIIIIKES! the lump has opened!! :hair: i let the buck breed her again this aft and a while later i noticed it oozing thick pink/cream stuff! i've sent a msg to the owners to pick her up asap and i put her in a large dog crate so she can't contaminate the pen. i didn't see anything in the pen but what do i need to do to sanitize the pen she was in?

i didn't see anything on the buck but what are the chances he'll get it, if it is CL?

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That isn't good.... how scary.... :(

Have the owners of her.... get the ooze tested....demand that they do so... it is something... that needs immediate attention.......as your herd is at risk.....and .. so you will know... if it is ...an infection.... maybe from a splinter or something like that ..and not CL....It will help you to know... if and what you are dealing with....

There is a risk... that she may of spread it to your buck... if he has a wound... that it gets into.....

Bleach and water mixed and spray... it all over the pen ground.... fence...walls.... ect anything that was touched or could of been touched.... :hug:

16. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Because you dont know if it is CL or if your buck may have it now, Do not put him in with other goats or you will may risk them all getting it as well. Also, Dont use the pen until after the doe has been tested and is negative, Your other goats can get CL from the ooze the doe dropped on the ground. If she does test positive, You may never be able to use that area again or risk the goat(s) in the pen getting CL. I really hope the owner didnt know about this previously and didnt tell you about it so you you didnt refuse the breeding.

I wish you luck! keep us updated.

17. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    the owner came and took the doe home tonight. they said they'd never noticed the lump and i believe them. they seem like honest people. he'll call the vet in the morning to get her checked out and said they'll let us know what they find out. the abcess goop was too thick to drip and i really don't think any got onto the pen or the buck. we'll definitely disinfect the pen area. is cl only contagious thru contact with that goop? or can it spread through sharing water or thru the actual breeding act?

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad.... they are going to have it checked out.....

CL is contagious... if the goo drips on the ground or touches any surface and another goat touches it .... then it can be spread to other places.... it doesn't have to be watery ...to drop on the ground...or to get on everything...a goat can rub it on things..... even a fly that lands on it ....can carry it to other places........ :(

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You said this lump was at the shoulder area at the base of her neck?
    Have you asked the owners about wether or not this doe was vaccinated?
    I would still be leary of the CL possibility and definately have the gunk tested to be sure but there is also chance that this was a sterile abcess created by a CD/T vac.
    Do as suggested and keep your boy from the herd til you know for sure with test results as well as not using the pen she was in for anything.