Breeding Soundness Exam on Goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tracyqh, Oct 15, 2010.

1. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    In mares, we can do breeding soundness exams with palpations of the ovaries, progesterone level testing, etc. I have an Alpine doe that is not coming into heat. Since I cannot palpate her, is there any blood tests I can do to see if she is fertile? I'm getting frustrated with her and would like to keep her, but if she cannot be productive for us, it's not feasable to keep her.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    None that I am aware of -- you can contact a vet to see if they have an idea though :shrug:

3. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I work for an equine breeding farm and we are NOT goat drs. Only equine. We may try to ultrasound her ovaries to see if there is any activity. I gave her 1cc of Lutalyse on Wed and she is showing no signs of heat. I'd love to do a hormone essay on her, but I don't know where to send it. BET Labs in KY where we send the progesterone test for the mares only does goat urine test for pregancy. Idexx labs that we send CBC/Profiles, T3+T4 testing to doesn't do any goat testing. BioTracking only for pregnancy. I can't find a test for reproductive soundness or hormone tracking.

4. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Love doing some google searches and finding all this info about Freemartins and Hermaphrodites. Gives me soooo much hope. :sigh:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe its 2cc of Lute needed

6. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    should I hit her again with Lut tomorrow or just wait another 7 days and use 2cc's then?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never used it before so I dont know if its safe to do that. :scratch:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've used it on a doe that I did not want bred when she got out with the boys, dose is 1 to 1 1/2 cc to bring on a heat, 2 cc to abort 7-10 days after the mistake breeding.

Wait 7 days after the initial IM injection, I'd go with the 1 1/2 cc dose, this should bring on a heat within the 3 days following the shot.
    Lute only works on regular cycling does, your doe may be one of those who isn't obvious about heats...IF she is cystic, you may be able to talk with a vet as far as treatment. I hope it works for her...also, if she is a girl with silent heats it may be a good idea to have her in close proximity of the buck during the day after the shot, she may shows sign of wanting to breed if he's close by.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Lute will bring them into heat, but it does not mean the doe is ovulating. I consider lute useless for bringing a doe into heat to get bred, personally.

10. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    That's how it is with mares. We can simulate a heat cycle and sometimes that will just start an ovary to start producing folicals. With mares though, we can palpate them. All our breeding is done artifically, so we track their ovarian activity with palpations and ultrasounds. Palpating a goat is impossible. With my horse breeding background, the goats are making me crazy! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THOSE OVARIES ARE DOING! I wish there was a lab that did progesterone testing on goats besides just pregnancies. If we have mares that aren't cycling by the textbook, we can do hormones essays on them. Goats, no way. I'm frustrated. :angry: