Breeding Thoughts/Buck opinion

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Hey, Just thinking ahead to this Fall when I (hopefully) get to breed my doeling. I have a a couple options. Around here most of the herds are closed. They will sell semen, but won't let you bring your doe there. So option number 1 is AI. I feel that this is probably pretty difficult, hubby thinks its doable. does anyone have any experience in this field? If we went this way we would most likely go with this guy (as long as they had some for sale at the time we needed it) I would like your opinion on him. I don't know anything about conformation, his coloring to me is a little plain, but his body looks good to me. What do you think of him? Second one down Copper Hill Milk Man.

http://www.goddardfarm.com/semen_sales

His Pedigree

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... N000900752

I chose him because his semen is actually affordable lol! I personally like the SpinATop Buck they have, but I can't afford the $200 a straw!

I like this option because it means I can breed her to a registered Nubian and we could have registered kids.

Another option is a friend of mine has Alpine does and is (hopefully) getting a buckling this year. She says I can use him anytime. I am inclined to this, because it would be so easy, let the goats do the work! LOL! But they would not be FB Nubians. However, I don't see a problem with mixed goats for home perposes, I'm just not sure I could sell babies as well???

I don't want my own buck right now, so for right now its not an option.
    Several breeders told me that they would sell me unwanted bucklings for $50, then I could use them, then sell, but I don't want a ton of boys coming and going either! I get too attatched!

2. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I was just looking at his Date of birth, I wonder if he is still alive??? 93? I wonder if this page has been updated.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    AI is possible and I know people who have but I personally have not- success rate for first time isnt high so you will want more then one straw to be sure you get her bred to that buck.

As to his age - he doesnt have to be alive for them to sell semen - they keep it in a tank. Could mean his straws arent as potent so the chance of success also goes down.

4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    what do you think about the buck himself? Critique him for me?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Hes a nice buck, long neck long bodied nice rear leg angulation. Good breed charecter. The problem is, finding someone experienced in AI. Youre going to need someone to store the semen for you until your doe is ready. Chances are you also going to need to buy two straws, the success rate for AIing virgin does is very low, and thats coming from someone with experience. Then theres the equipment that goes along with it. (unless you know someone who will do it for you) along with the AI tank you need a light, and a speculum. They can ship the semen no problem, but chances are your doe wont be in heat when it arrives. So then you need a tank to store it in. One straw is often less then needed. If she doesnt take the first breeding, you need a second straw. I always ordered five straws at a time.

6. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    He is (was? they have other bucks, too) only 20 minutes from my house, so I could go get it when my doe was in heat. No storage! I can also use my friends future buckling as backup if needed. I didn't know that AIing virgin does was harder though, perhaps the first time we breed her we should use my friends Alpine.

My husband has helped in AIing cattle when he was a kid, he said in cattle they give the cow a shot and exactly so many days later they AI. Is this not the same in goats?

Does anyone have any good rescources about AIing goats? I know NOTHING, and everything I "do know" is based on cattle.

7. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    The only way you will get the best education on AI is to go to a class where you will have hands on experience. I got a private day class and AI'ed 3 does. All took and kidded. :) So your most likely to have the best success rates by being taught. I don't believe you can truely learn to do AI by reading. Pictures maybe but your best bet is a class.

I also don't recommend starting out with top notch semen. If you do you will lose alot of money. Starting out your success rates aren't going to be all that great. :)

8. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    As far as sync'ing heats, it is somewhat similar to what your husband did with cattle. There is a shot you can give although I am not familiar with it, I am most familiar with the CIDR inserts. Which can be purchased from Jeffers or Caprine Supply, and many other places. They are quite costly though, $100 for 20 inserts.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A friend of mine reuses the inserts since they are "potent" longer then they are used (guessing because she has ND) never used them myself though

10. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I wouldn't reccommend reuseing them. But that is just my personal OCD ways. lol

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well she has been breeding for many many years and has a very successful breeding program so whaterever she is doing its working for her.

12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm not familiar with the lines but they do have some nice animals. Their website is confusing me though.
    I think he's a good buck, but agree with the others that you might want to try something else for her first time. Also, even though they are only 20 minutes away, you will still need to store the semen properly.

13. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Yes Devin those are the CIDR inserts. They are designed to sync heats. They work well.

14. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Georgia
    You can't go get the straws as you need them without a semen tank or vapor tank. You should never let the temperature of a straw change for more then a few seconds. Doing so will kill the semen. The straw should go from a tank directly into 95-97 degree water and then used within a few minutes.
    To cycle a doe we give 2ml Lutalyse the day we insert the cidr. Then 7-9 days later remove the cidr and give 1ml PG 600. You should be able to A.I. most does 55 hours after cidr is removed.
    We have had good success with the above methods.

HTH

Donna Finley
    Finley Boers

15. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I too had your problem this year. I have saanens and the only other Saanen in my area is thier dad...so no. Actually he is my doelings dad and grandpa!

Since all I really want is milk, it really didn't matter what I bred them too. The girls are out of an awesome milking line..all I needed was to get them pregnant. Fortunately I found a really nice Nubian buck near by and bred to him.

I guess it would depend on what your plans are for the kids. I would like to keep a doeling if she has one, the bucks will be in my freezer. Any and all kids from here on out will be sold, or butcherd. You can always sell a kid for a pet or 4-H project around here.

So, if you are not showing or selling resgistered stock, than any good buck will do.

16. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I don't plan to show, but I do have 2 boys. We might possible do 4H with some kids, do 4H goats need to be full blood or registered? My doeling is a nice one (IMHO) and her mother and father have both shown. We can't show my doeling anyway because she had frost bite on the ends of her ears and the tips fell off. Whatever buck I do use I want to at least be Dairy, just in case I want to keep a doeling.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for 4H no they dont have to be registered or even purebred.

18. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thank you! I have planned to sell registerable kids, but thats not necessary, I mainly want milk!

19. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I'm not sure about this, someone esle may be. I think that if your doelings line are good milkers then she should be too no matter what you breed her to. But, Her doeling may not be.

I know that my Sasha is a good milker. She comes from a good milking doe and last year he had a good udder and lots of milk. Bella, my young one, is from this same line, so I hope she is also a good mike producer.