breeding two with the same grandsire

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by tallgirl, Nov 12, 2009.

1. tallgirl

tallgirl Member

Oct 14, 2009
    what is the rule about breeding two goats that have the same grandsire?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends -- is the grandsire on the same side ( example: mothers side?)

are there plenty of kids from this buck to show what he throws?

Do the doe and buck both have some major issue that could be accentuated in their offspring? (ie weak chine or toe out?)

3. tallgirl

tallgirl Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Yes, they are both on the mothers side, yes the grandsire has thrown nice kids, and I don't see any flaws that may be accentuated.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    There is no rule. You have to decide whether or not it is going to be a successful cross. I have a breeding this year that have the same grand sire who is out of a 13x best udder doe. I am hoping i'll get some really nice uddered does as well as nice conformation. I don't like line/in breeding, but I wanted to try this cross and see how it goes. In doing so some flaws may come out that I didn't even notice on the two goats, but there is that chance of getting just what you want.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so they are half siblings you are saying? same mother? or different mothers who had the same sire?

IF they are half siblings I wouldnt breed them together.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Stacey.....if they are 1/2 siblings ...you have to be careful ....breeding that close....some people do it ....but some traits... in the lines... that you are not aware of ...may come back on the offspring....that are not good.... :(

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I used two bucks that had the same grandsire two consecutive years. Some of the best kids i have ever had. But you need to take a good look at bother animals kids and the grandsires kids.
    beth

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
  9. tallgirl

tallgirl Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Thanks so much for all the input, and the article is interesting and helpful.
    No, they do not have the same mother, it's just the same grandsire.

10. I have seen it work, with people that had oops breedings, but would not recommend too close. In some of these cases it may have just been the good lord looking over an oops.

11. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats Guest

Sep 10, 2008
    Here is a really good article about line breeding. I personally have had very good success with close line breeding but you do have to know the animals very well. EVERY breeding is a gamble, as you will not know what specific genetics will be passed to the offspring.
    http://www.dairygoatjournal.com/issues/ ... _Hall.html

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    MysticHollow thats to funny -- you posted teh same link as myfainters -- I have the same article saved on my computer :thumb:

13. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats Guest

Sep 10, 2008