Breeding, vaccine, and mineral questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Locklyn, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Locklyn

Locklyn New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Washington
    I have a few questions regarding what should be done with your does prior to breeding to make sure they are ready, should anything be done or given during pregnancy, should I give anything to the does or kids after birth? I'm just not sure how often people give Selenium vitamin e and I have also heard copper bolus. I usually vaccinate with CDT once a year but have heard some people also give it to does 1 month before birth. Any input would be great! I have nigerian dwarfs and are currently getting orchard grass, grain, and alfalfa pellets.
    Thank you

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Free choice loose minerals.

Only selenium or copper bolus if needed - gotta judge based on photos and past experiences for that.

CDT a month prior to kidding.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi. With my does I watch the body condition before breeding. I make sure their feet are trimmed. I give them a copper bolus in July if they are showing signs of low copper. If they need it I worm them. I give them selenium the month they are with the buck in August . My girls all get a CDT a month before they kidd.
    I also worm after they have delivered if they show signs of worms. I give all new moms Vit b complex, selenium, and nutri drench when they finish delivery. To me..they need all the extra nutrition then. With the birthing, hormonal changes and blood loss. Also feeding little ones.

4. Locklyn

Locklyn New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Washington
    My girls are due March and April and both got Cdt in October is it safe to give it again?

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Yes it is safe to give to your girls.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You would want to time it,
    1 month prior to kidding .

7. Locklyn

Locklyn New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Washington
    One of my does I am unsure of the actual breeding date I took her to the farm (Oct 19th) the day I thought she was in heat where the buck was for 3 weeks and the owner says she never seen any action but I have never seen her go back into heat and I currently have the buck on my farm as he bred my other doe in November. So she has been with the buck since October but never seen the actual breeding. She is defiantly getting rounder. How common is it to not see the actual breeding happen?

8. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Goats are pretty proficient, the breeding might not have been witnessed. You can pull blood or ultrasound to see if she’s pregnant, but if you took her there in heat and she hasn’t cycled again, I’d assume pregnant.

As far as what we do for breeding in regards to vaccines/minerals, here is what we do.

One month prior to when we want to start breeding, we BoSe all the bucks (once a year unless they show signs of deficiency per my vet). About a week before we plan on starting to expose does they get BoSe. 4 weeks prior to kidding, does get their final hoof trim pre-kidding. 3 weeks prior to kidding, does get another BoSe and CDT booster.

Bucks get CDT once a year, as do junior or open does. Copper boluses are given as needed on an individual basis, not on a schedule. Free choice minerals and kelp are out at all times. During the last 2 months of pregnancy we put out Vitalyx protein tubs for the does.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  9. Locklyn

Locklyn New Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Washington
    Thank you for all the input it really helps a lot!