The Goat Spot Forum banner

Breeding woes

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Crossroads Boers 
#1 ·
I'm down to my last doe to breed. She's a first timer. She hasn't been doing anything right since August. If she has come in heat, it wasn't much and not for long. She's in with my live buck right now as I gave up on AI ing her a long time ago. I can't help but wonder if she isn't an example of one that got screwed up by using the dang hormones. Back in August I had a CIDR in her. Ever since then things have been weird. I tried to wait it out for her to come in natural, but she never came in heat. I gave her Lute a couple of days ago. She was clearly *not* in heat yesterday. This morning it looked like things were heating up. She had some mucousy stuff dripping, but it was pretty clear and thin. She was occasionally flagging a little. I figured she was just coming into heat. I even tried to hold her for the buck late this morning, but she was not wanting to hold still, wouldn't flag at all, and the buck didn't even want to try. Now I have them on camera and it is *really* boring. Nothing going on at all. I suppose she could have come in last night and he got her, but geeze... That's it?

#3 ·
So no semen on her tail today?
This morning her tail was a little wet. She looked a little swollen. He could have got her. This buck has got a couple pregnant and never has left much of a mess. Who knows what went on last night and early morning. Hopefully enough. Ha. It's just not how it has ever worked for any other doe I've been around, most of mine are in heat for like two whole days, so I'm skeptical.

#6 · (Edited)
Well hopefully he got her for you! That's just odd :scratch: , when I use lute, they come into pretty strong heats. Some does just don't respond to hormones like others do I guess. :shrug:
He might have got her. She sure didn't stay in for long. He's a patient buck and he just had her to worry about, so I have faith he got it done if she let him. I took a picture. It is pretty messy back there this evening.

Attachments

#12 ·
I'd definitely be marking the date on the calendar! ;) :thumbup:
Ha. Yeah, I will. At least I have a date. *If* she was in standing heat, I've never had one that had that short a window. I suppose it's possible she's been coming in to some extent all along and I was just not able to catch it with my usual management. Time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.