Breeding

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by goatnutty, Dec 1, 2007.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I wasdebating if I want to breed my doe because I have classes on Mon.-Fri.from 7A.M.-3;30P.M.and if she rejects them I won't be home during that time.I just wanted to know if you guys thought it would be o.k. to breed her or not.She's 2yrs. old and never been nred. :?:

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is she in heat now? If she is 2 she is old enough to breed.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    She will be in heat in about two weeks.I know she's old enough I'm just afraid she'll reject the kids because her mother rejected her and I have sholl from 7-3:30.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That's actually not always the case. My brother had a boer doe, she had trips her first time and rejected the girl. The girl had to be a bottle baby of course and when it came time for her to kid, she became the best mother we had. She loved her kid.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    How often would I have to feed the kid if she rejected it?

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Would your parents help out during the day while you were at school? About every 2 - 3 hours at first.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    at first, 3-4 times a day then after about a week or two you can take them down to 2 times a day.

8. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I've never done it, but heard the 2-3 hours like a human baby and do it in smaller amounts. If it is 3 - 4 times a day, it's in larger amounts.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I could do the 3-4 times a day.1 inthe morning 2 after school 3before bed and we could squeze another one in somewhere if needed.I know my mother wouldn't help and I could ask dad but it's unlikely.

10. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    So what would they do if your goat started kidding while you were at school? When she was due, would they check on her? Would they call the vet if they needed help? If that's not a definite, you may want to hold off on breeding.

11. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    They would moniter her very closly.They would have to drag my grandmother away.She loves the goats.She only works on Thurs. and Fri. so she would watch and take of if needed.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have some of teh same issues with work schedule. But my family is great and helps out. Caleb was at every birth or right after and so at the end of the year when everyone was sold i gave him a procentage of the sales. I figure that if I pay him good he will continue to look after my goaties well. So far it is working :D

Oh Caleb is my 16 year old brother

13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I guess I'll have to make up my mind soon so I can breed her in time.

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I forgot to mention I posted this in the wrong section.She is a pygmy doe.

15. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    for the first 3 to 4 days i feed mine every four hours. so they get feed at 4,8,12,4 & 8. then i cut it down to 3 times a day 5,12,5 then after 4 weeks i go to twice a day. i feed them so that it comes out to 1/2 gal per kid per day. i also feed them milk at room tempature. not real cold but not warm. there colostrum is warm.

16. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    If you wait till Jan to breed her then she will kid end of May to sometime in June depending on when in Jan she goes in heat. Then you would be out for the summer and could enjoy the whole thing while out of school.

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    smart thinking Teresa!

18. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    If you could get your grandmother to bottle feed if she happens to reject them, that would be great!! Also if she would be able to watch her before she kids up until she kids then you could have it made...You could breed her now depending when you get out of school, May would be her due date I believe...you should be on summer break.

19. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    must have posted at the same time or when my puter froze...hehe

20. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I don't know about pygmies, but we raised many many healthy dairy kids. We would have them to twice a day by 10 days old. If the kid was doing very poorly, we would force a few ounces down more often, but that was so seldon we had one of those, and even then, if you tubed it enough milk, then it would bounce back and be on the normal schedule like everyone else after one tubing usually. Out of a couple humdred kids we only ever tubed maybe ten, so don't be worried about that. I have heard that pygmies are a VERY hardy breed. I would say breed her and if you have to bottle feed, I am sure you will do fine. My daughter bottle fed 3 kids starting at a week of age I think she fed them before and after school and before bedtime for about 3 weeks, so they gained weight then went to twice a day till they were about 4 months. and after the first week they really suck it down quick. takes more time to wash up than to feed. :)