breeding ??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rgbdab, Jan 20, 2008.

1. his daughter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. his half sister

100.0%
  3. his mother

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. his grandaughter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. none of the above, only nonrelated does

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. runs with herd and breeds at will

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I know if it works, it's line breeding and if not, inbreeding. :?

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate you responding to poll so I can get an idea of the breeding methods of a variety of people. Thanks in advance, Denise

2. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    OK, though I personally have never done this, my good friend breeds her does back to their father sometimes. She has never, ever had a problem with it. She actually has very nice does too.
    It helps to do this to get consistency. People look for consistency in a herd. And linebreeding is one of the best ways to do it.
    This year with my Kiko doe I managed to breed her to her half brother. They have the same sire. I didn't really think about it before I did it but I do not regret it at all. He will improve over her tremendously. Some people (including my mother until I talked to her about it) think it is soooo wrong for related animals to breed. It is not that way at all. As long as the two do not have a weakness in the same area, it can be a very good thing.

3. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    maybe this question is not so suitable as a poll as it only allows one option?
    i would bred back to daughter, sister, son, and so on, if it helps to improve a trait consistently.

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Well I have never linebred but I will not say I won't eventually. How close is really determined on each goat's pedigree and qualities.

5. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I would breed half-brother and half sister if I had a goat that I wanted to reproduce badly enough. The nicest doeling ever born on our farm was out of a half-brother/half-sister cross. The breeder I bought her dam from only had the one buck to use and I was kind of disappointed when I saw the breeding memo at the time of purchase but that breeding turned out a doeling with the nicest general appearance I've seen yet in a junior doe.

Kristen

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    would anyone breed an full uncle to a neice? or is that to close even with good genetics?

Just curious

7. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Nope Stacey, that is fine! The main thing is that you always, always, always want to make sure that two goats do not have the same fault.
    That of course is the same with all does and bucks, related or not. Breeding two good traits together produces a better trait usually, but breeding a bad trait to a bad trait just makes it worse.
    Like I said, my friend sometimes breeds does to their sire. She never has any problems, and her does are very typey.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have never bred mother to son or son to daughter, but i know pwoplw who have and had mixed results. A friend of mine bred a buck to his mother last year as well as his grandmother. The resulting doe kid out of the grandmother was long and stretchy but hocky not very flat boned, i just don;t care for her much. The doe who was bred to her son, had a much nicer doe though she is a little hocky.
    Another case another friend of mine bred her buck back to his mother, she had one kid that showed really well the other sister had three teats.
    The buck im using right now, his dam was out of the same buck that the dam of my last buck was out of. So i am using some line breeding there. Like kathryn said you have to be carful and make sure you don't breed two animals with the same faults together. you will just intensify those faults. but the same goes for good traits.
    beth

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I have heard that it is not a good idea to breed mother to son-but that is only what i've heard as i've never tried that breeding in my herd. However I know of lots of people that breed father/daughter and like stated earlier that can either be really good or really bad. It can strenghted good traits but also severly weaken the weak traits. I think my folks owned a doe once that was a result of an accidental brother/sister breeding and she was a really nice doe.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok I was just curious just in case I decide to keep a doe from Sweet Pea. Not sure yet but it has been a thought

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have bred half brother to half sister, and the result was one really nice kid, and one 'ok' kid.

The biggest thing with linebreeding is, like Katherine said, not to breed faults on faults. This will make an even bigger fault, and that's not good. Yes, inbreeding(or linebreeding, whichever you prefer to call it) has produced some really nice animals, but it has also produced some very horrible animals.

12. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    This year I bred half brother to half sister. Their dams were both unrelated though. I have had a doe whose father was also her grandfather and she had an ugly udder while her dam had a pretty nice udder. Of my lamanchas/grade lms I have 12 and of them7 of them are all related to my 1st buck Riley. 6 of the 7 lamanchas are either peach or white which is what the buck was. In december I had bought his mom and his sister who is half lamancha half saanen. Riley looks just like his dam but his sister looks a bit different. But all of Riley's kids (about 16 or 17) they all looked alike and are all built the same and there were some different colors but the peach ones were the best. But if you look at all of his kids and his son they all look alike. I even had a judge comment on how uniform they were. This year I am going to breed Riley's mother back to his son.