Breeding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sunrise, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    I've got some more questions for you. At what age do you breed your doelings? Also do you try to breed for two kid crops a year? And what is the best out cross for Boers? Thanks! I'll be back later....

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    boers I believe the average is to breed when they are at least 1 year old.

Some boer breeders to breed for kids twice a year. The doe needs to be in good shape and able to handle the second pregnancy without loosing condition.

3. Sunrise

Sunrise Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    Do you want to breed them so they will kid out when they are yearlings or breed them after they trun 1?

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I breed mine at 1 year not so they kid at 1 year.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you want wait to breed them till they are a year old.

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We bred a 75% doe to kid as a yearling and by the time we sold her that summer she was just as tall as her 2 year old sister and another 2 year old. You would probably want them 80-100lbs. when you breed them...that is if you choose to breed them that early. The 75% yearling had a single buck that weighed around 9lbs.

I agree with Stacey if you breed does twice a year. I personally wouldn't do it, but that is a personal preference. If I wanted two kid crops a year I would breed some in the fall and then some in the spring.

7. Sunrise

Sunrise Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    On some of them websites I was looking at (meat producers) they breed for two crops a year. I was wondering how many others do it. I'm still working on business plans and looking at the way different breeds handle their herds. I want good production BUT I want to keep my does as heathy as I can.

Oh and that reminds me. How do you add numbers to your herd? Do you keep the best doelings or buy does from other breeds? Or both?

Thanks for playing 20 questions with me!

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Most of the time, but not all of the time, when they say two kid crops a year they mean they have some does kid in the spring and them some in the fall...not necessarily the same does though.

Well...here lately with our Nubians we've bought does and bucks to get a good, sound foundation...we have retained some doelings, too. Although, after this year we don't plan to buy any more does for a while. Just retaining our own. We will still buy bucks, though. :greengrin: Buying bucks is fun! :lol:

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Dover Farms,Buying a buck may be fun but findind 1 up for stud isn't.LOL

10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I personally only breed my does 1 time a year. I think breeding them twice would be hard on them. I also breed my does when they are about a year old.

This year I am keeping some of the best doe kids, but also plan to buy more does from other sources as well.

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Sara....what breed of buck are you looking for? Why don't you try your local extension office and get a list of the goat people. Or try looking for some breeders within driving distance. Also a good place to look is in the ADGA membership directory if you have one. :)

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm looking for a pygmy buck to breed with my doe.

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think breeding them twice a year would also depend on how many kids they have in a litter. For Nigerians I have heard that some peope measure ther hip width and others breed when they are a certain height. But I have heard with the standards that you want them to be about 80 pounds.

14. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    i think responsible boer breeder don't breed twice a year but three times in two years.
    for dairy goat this is not practical as the does need to milk most of their life, not beeing pregnant ;)

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Ah yes that is it Susanne, 3 times in 2 years.

16. Sunrise

Sunrise Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    Ok I like that better 3times in two years. I thought that would be hard on them to kid twice a year.