Breeding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nhsmallfarmer, Jul 11, 2008.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I was just wondering how all of you go about your breeding season.

Do you leave the buck with doe(s) for a certain period of time? if so how long?
    Just until they get the job done?

I take my does to a guy that has bucks and just let them get their business done (5 minutes, maybe) This year I was thinking of just letting a buck in with my does for a couple of days, I dont know really yet though :scratch:

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, last year I pasture bred the Cashmere's. I saw 2 bred...then calculated the due date, and guestimated the other 2. Worked OK, then the 2 Nigerian does that I bought bred, I had due dates on those. I hand bred Carly (ND) when she came in heat. She kidded pretty close to her due date (one was early, the other late). But, I've believe the first 2 ND's are rebred, pasture bred, I don't have a date on them (thanks Fernando). So, I'll really be going crazy in Oct.

Needless to say, I don't recommend pasture breeding. I'll be better next time. I know the buck is happy being with the girls. But, I'm going to be more careful with him next time. You all will have to put up with my incompetence when I start moaning about "when" the kids are due. :GAAH:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what I have done in the past is watch my does for signs of heat and chart it for a couple months. That way I know how far apart their heat cycles are. at the point when I want them to be bred I bring in a buck just about the time they should go back into heat.

I watch each day around the time they should be in heat (checking butts for signs of breeding). Usually they hate the buck except for that one day when they become all lovey. THen I mark that date down as a breeding date. Watch for the 5 day heat (have one doe who likes to go back into heat 5 days later) check for breeding. Then if I am secure on the breedings the buck goes home. If not he stays through when the next heat cycle would be and then I check for signs of heat and breeding. So far all my does have been bred and settled on their first breeding.

This year I want to breed my registered does to some nicer bucks so I may have to take them to the buck when they are in standing heat - tis a good thing I have a wether who lets me know when the does are in heat.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Do all wethers do that Stacey? :?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well not all but most can tell when a doe is in heat.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well OK, there is an excuse to keep one of my wether kids.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I watch my girls for their heat and the boys let me know when they are ready also, If it is in the month I want them bred I let my chosen boy out of the gate and let the special girl out too....I have 3 boys and 5 girls...1 doe is going to be bred by an outside buck in October and the other will be with 1 of 2 that I have...still un sure who the lucky boy will be. I do not run my bucks with my does...I breed for kids 1x a year and milk my girls til I want to breed for kids the following year...I tax them enough with milking, I personally feel that back to back breedings are not for me or my girls.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I go ahead watch for the does heat and choose which lucky buck it will be. We put the doe in a kennel w/ the chosen buck, leave them for 3 days. Then back to the heard she goes. I have NEVER had this technique fail in the past 2 years. They always get bred. You just have to carefully make sure she's ready to breed. We're going to breed this winter. We have a few kennels and we will put multiple does in there w/ certain bucks so we can finish kidding in a short amount of time. We're going to be breeding around 20 does at least this year so it's going to be a big job. Also, your buck is usually able to pick up on when she's in heat so that works real well!

We used to run our herd together, but trying to figure out due dates was very hard. We now keep our does and bucks seperated. But at that time we only had around 6 does and 1 buck.

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We're lucky enough to have our pens set up to where we can pen a buck or two by the doelings and does-so when a doe flags her tail by the buck pen then we put the two in a separate pasture 'till the deed is done and then they go back to their pens. None of the bucks here seem to fight to bad-so that is nice. None of them have horns which helps to.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We breed our does very similar to Stacey. We have a small herd so for the most part, our buck runs with the does (he's a gentleman and does not bother them a lot). But, since we just got another buck, they have to be separated now. We've had no problems recognizing when the doe cycles & gets bred, since the herd is small.

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I own several bucks so I don't run any bucks with my does. I watch my does for heat. I mark my calendar so that in the coming months, when I'm ready to breed her I have a round-a-bout time frame to expect her to come in heat. Some don't follow this though. Anyway, I watch for heat signs (normally the doe will hang out up by the buck fence and the bucks will pester her through the fence and she will stand there and flag.) I know then its time. I put her with the "chosen" buck in a breeding pen for anywhere from 15 minutes to half a day or more. Depends on the doe, and how many times I see them breed while I'm standing there. If I also need the pen for another goat this will determine the pen time. I mark my dry erase board with the date bred, and due, and then update my breeding schedule and Fiasco Farm chart with the needed info. All for me not to ever forget. Oh and I keep a goat diary which I also record all breedings, heats, expected due dates etc in.

I watch for her to come in heat again the next time and put her again with the buck if needed. Some don't seem to come into heat till the time I want to breed them. In those cases I just breed them when I see them in heat. Some does do not stand at the buck pen. I'll just see other does riding them or, flagging or discharge. Some I catch in heat at grain times flagging and discharge. Then I take them up to the buck barn. Put them in a pen, bring the buck and "see" if she'll stand. If its a false alarm she could just be in early heat, not quite ready to stand so we try again later that day or the next morning or both. On a rare occasion I just bring a "test" buck down to the doe barn on a leash and walk him around to see who he is interested in and who immediately starts flagging. I did this some last fall with Rue. Had no idea Hera was in heat until I took Rue out on lead. When he got to her he jumped up on her and she flagged then. So I penned them together for the day.

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Ashley - I do the same thing sometimes, bring the lucky buck in on a leash to see who is in heat :greengrin: