Breeding.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Chase

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Orion

100.0%
  1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I would love to have some March babies from my girls but I don't know if Chase can "reach" Lyrae yet. Orion can reach Lyric and Heidi just fine. But Chase is from the same sire as Lyric and he apparently is a slow grower as well. Any advice? :help:

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Do you have a pic to compare their size? Or just a height differance?

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    you can put him on a step, thats what I do :lol:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Crissa....when she is in standing heat and will let him mount, if he tries and you can see that he can't reach her, maybe move her to a slope so that he has the high side...or even get a square bale of hay to help him out....I do have mini's and often thought that my boys couldn't reach because they were so much smaller than the girls....not so..where theres a will theres a way, and those boys can be determined boogers!

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Those are good ideas Sarah and Liz. Why didn't I think of those? LOL!

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Even if he is just a few inches short of his mark , a cinder block or even a few 2x6 nailed together will help him out...a hay bale is what I'd think of using if he was pygmy size and she was a big girl...I doubt he will need any assistance though.

7. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    where there is a will there is a way
    i've seen a doe almost lay down for a short buck
    and i've seen a buck push a doe around til he had her where he could reach her

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm having the same problem. I've got a couple young bucks that I want to breed to a few does, but they're having a hard time reaching. I tried the slope thing, but the they don't seem confident enough to "do the deed".

9. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    there's a definite difference between a young buck and a short buck
    i had a fully mature pyg buck that would push around a big boer doe i had until he could reach
    and reach he would
    i've also had a young nubian who would mount but was too young to make the doe settle

10. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Well-we had a mini stud about 28 inches tall breed a 14 hh arabian mare- where there's a will theres a way- she laid right down for him :ROFL:

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Heather:..Oh my gosh...really!?!?! She foaled?...what did the foal look like?? Wow, I can't believe he actually bred her. :ROFL: He must have been one persuasive little mini! :ROFL:

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We've never had to help in this way but if we did, I'd use a bale of hay. . . . if he is not confident enough then you'll have to wait until he is. . . .

13. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    :wahoo: Breeding season is here :wahoo:

well it appears a short buck and reach a full size doe, he isnt a mini just a march 08 baby, I have noticed him running around the pasture chasing Holly I went out a couple hours later (he is still chasing her) she seems to have goo hanging off her pooch so I take it he got her once or twice, checked my calculator looks like March 19, 2009 she would be do, gonna watch them for the next 2 days

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I haven't even seen him trying yet. (but of course I'm at school most of the day) I will probably try to get pooch pics tomorrow to see what ya'll think of my girls being bred. Orion has definitely been going after Heidi (don't know about Lyric though) I haven't seen any of the girls in heat lately either. :scratch: Am I missing something? :GAAH:

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I thought my goats were taking forever to go into heat too....but they've finally started.

I think if Chase is "willing" then you will be able to help him get it done. I used a young buck last year that couldn't quite reach and I built a like 5 inch platform out of some wood and backed the doe up to it. Or, you could dig a small hole and put the does back feet in it. Worth a try...

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well I just found out that Heidi is NOT bred she is in heat right now, do you think it would be better to breed her to Chase or Orion? Chase has a flatter rump, good angulation in his legs, and he has the rear width, decent blending, but he is not near as long as Orion and his ears aren't as good. (too much control) Orion is long, wide, good dairy character, has good rear leg angulation, his rump is not near as level as Chase's (one of Heidi's weak points as well) has great breed character as well. (I think anyways)

Orion
    [​IMG]

Chase (need a better pic, he looks better now)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heidi (I need to set her up better but you get the idea)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i say orion.. his rump doesn't look like its steep

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I agree, breed her to Orion, he has better body capacity too than Chase, that seems to be lacking in Heidi.

19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks!

Lyric and Heidi are both in with Orion and Lyrae is in with Chase. Hopefully I'll have some decent kids. :roll: Heidi has definitely been in heat and I saw some goo hanging off of her earlier today. (still haven't seen Orion mount her but apparently everybody else has) Have not seen Chase show any interest in Lyrae, I don't know if she just hasn't been in heat or what. :shrug:

We just finished moving them to their new home, so hopefully they will settle down soon. I felt bad leaving them, it seemed like they thought I was deserting them. :tears: After a week or so they'll probably figure out that I will be there everyday to spend time with them. Luckily their 10 year old son seems to LOVE them! :thumbup:

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Crissa....I'd say that ANY kids coming from your girls would be beautiful little "long ears"....and I'm glad you got them settled in, sounds to be a good place and the fact that you can be with them daily is a plus....and they will have attention from the boy too. :hug: